Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "Whut Bass 4 Me" thread - BC Rich?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bojinx, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bojinx

bojinx

Jun 11, 2005
    Greetings All,

I've been lurking the boards for a while now, and have finally decided to pick up a bass. I used to play guitar when I was younger, and I have a desire to pick up an instrument again. I have always loved the bass guitar's place in music and I really want to give it a go.

Here's the question... Which bass for me? I have about 400 bucks to spend and am leaning towards the BC Rich Platinum line of 4 strings. Is there a reason that I should not pick up one of these?
    I would like something beginner friendly. I have smallish hands. Will this bass fit my needs. I'll be doing a lot of garage jamming and hopefully paid gigs by the end of summer (if I'm a fast learner) with a band that focuses on classic and '80s rock with a touch of hard rock and some pop.

I've also checked out SX's and ESPs, but I'm really leaning towards the BC Rich.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bo

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    BC Rich's blow. The older hand made ones from the 80's kick ass, but the new one simply blow. They're uncomfortable, they sound like poo, and they play like poo.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Whatever :rolleyes: Not all newer BCR basses suck. They might in your opinion but what sucks to you might be heaven for someone else.

Bojinz, since I just recently discussed BCR's in this thread,New BC Rich Basses , I'll direct you there for my thoughts.

Oh yea, BTW, welcome back to bass playing! :D

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Eh, true it's just opinion.. But hey, if someone enjoys a poorly constructed bass that is more uncomfortable to play than a tablesaw blade, than that's their choice. Though everyone has their own opinions on basses and what they like, we're still all human. I don't think many BC rich designs (there are some ;)) are made for humans. :p

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Still, their handcrafted stuff is pretty cool ;).

6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'll agree the "looks" are not for everyone and some are downright uncomfortable (painful?) to play! :D

What I was taking issue with was..."they sound like poo, and they play like poo" statement. The newer NJ's I have played have had good tone and played good as well IMO. As you can tell, I don't agree with you there. Now Platinum and Bronze series stuff I agree your statement fits but not the NJ's.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yes, as even our resident BC Rich adoree will agree, Platinums are poo. The higher grade NJs are...I'll be diplomatic and say they are much better than Platinums, but in my (and many other's) opinion they are no where near the level of quality that you should get for the amount of money you pay.

For $400 you could do way better than a platinum rich. ESP LTDs, the low end Soundgear line, possibly a low rung Spector (what is their entry line, Professional?) are all near that pricepoint. If you could save up another hundred bucks you'd see a lot more options open up, including the NJ series BCRs (if you absolutely must have a Rich that's the series you want).

Any of those would be a better choice than a Platinum Rich, unless you need pointy guitar right now to impress your friends....

8. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I agree with this and Im sure 90% of the people on this board do aswell.... BCR = Trash (imo)

9. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Shouldn't that read..."Yes, as even our resident BC Rich outcast will agree, Platinums are poo." :p

I agree with Tash. There are way better quality basses for the money than a Platinum series. Even though I wish it weren't true, for the price and quality of an NJ you can find better quality basses than them also. :(

Don't buy a BCR to have "the look" or you will probably be disappointed down the road. Buy a bass for playability and tone that works for you. You need to really get out and try different models in your price range.

For brands to check out, there is:
    ESP
    Schecter
    Ibanez
    MTD (The Perfect Bass has them for $499!) They are definately better than an NJ IMO!
    Peavey
    Dean
    Fender
    Rockbass by Warwick
    Yamaha
    Etc.,etc... :D

There are alot of choices. Some are better than a similar priced BCR, some are not IMO. Good luck!

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I was trying to soften the blow Kell...

You know I think you might be the anti-tash when it comes to gear. Of all the equipment I've owned the two companies I've had the worst time with are BC Rich and Trace Elliot...

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks for the courtesy. ;)

Hi, I'm Kelly Lee, the Anti-Tash. :D

12. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    Jerry Only of the Misfits gets a pretty decent sound out of his BCR...then again he runs it through 5 acoustic 370s and 810s on 10...the newer NJs are nice too...can't compare to a fender jazz though(imo of course)...

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
  14. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    what about an anything but american J-bass, they're catching up to MIA's, IMO

15. bojinx

bojinx

Jun 11, 2005
    Thanks for the words of warning about the Platinum BCRs. I was not looking at them for their 'pointy' designs, I was looking to pick up the Eagle model.

Soooo... tossing the BCRs out the door, Should I try to maximize my spending, or minimize it. I could spend around $100 and pick up and SX, or I could drop $400 and drain my equipment fund. I already have an amp... not the best, but it'll work... so all the money I have is going just to the bass. I would like something that I can give me a lot of range without having to upgrade pups at this time.

So I guess my question has changed to 'Whut is the best value, under $400?'