1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another "Will this work" tread. Volume

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hotrodmick, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

Dec 7, 2009
    Mid-west
    I'm an ex-guitar player here so be gentle ,my skin is soft and thin.

I have been playing with no effects and the more I play the more I want to tweak my sound. When I switched over, I bought a Diditech multi-effect pedal and never had been happy with it. SO, I have two very full guitar pedal boards and want to make one for my bass rig.

Question:
    Will my Vox volume pedal work? and. Will other guitar pedals work ? and. What pedals should I really start with for classic rock ?

Please forgive the lame questions, I'm a recovering guitar player.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    What are you using for an amp and cab? For classic rock many (most?) of us just use those. I use an OD pedal when the amp doesn't have some sort of usable OD built-in.

3. blizward

blizward

Feb 21, 2013
    Rennes - France
    12d89ae5eda31dc774de20a95653bb93.

Hotrodmick likes this.
  4. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    In general, time based effects (delay or modulation), and utility pedals like a volume pedal work fine for either guitar or bass.

Other pedals designed for guitar (overdrive, fuzz, distortion, and compression) often cut low end, often due to the values of a couple capacitors. Often, these can be modded, if you have a hand for that.

Many guitar pedals that would otherwise be unusable on bass can work great in the loop of a blender pedal. One control, xotic, and wounded paw make excellent models, though the boss ls2 is probably the most common. Sometimes, there are phasing issues with this technique.

If you already have some great pedals, than perhaps your best option is a blender. I'd try out some of your pedals with your bass and see if you like the sound it makes, and then go buy a blender to get your low end back.

For classic rock, I think the two most important pedals are an overdrive and a compressor.

franvarin likes this.
  5. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

Dec 7, 2009
    Mid-west
    Thanks, I'll play around. I need the volume pedal for sure, the rest will be added as I find out what works. As a guitar player, I was always chasing distortion, overdrive, delay and wah. I bought the multi-effects board thinking cheap would work, it has some cool sounds but isn't for me. It also makes my wire-less fade in and out. I do have a compressor I'll try.

Thanks for the info..

6. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island

+1 on this post... Lots of good OD pedals out there. I use a Sheehan Signature drive and use the loops extensively. on the dirt side I loop in an EHX Bass Soul Food then an MXR Analog Chorus. Low side has just an MXR BOD (used really lightly). The out from the Sheehan pedal goes to an MXR Bass Compressor then into a Tech 21 VT Bass, Tech 21 BDDI. I use these last two to change the tone depending on the bass I'm using on a given song. For your classic rock I'd probably just use the VT Bass and not the BDDI.

Driven Crane likes this.