Another &$*#@&%

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Nov 25, 2002.

1. (Friday night's scenario - PA ready to roll, main fader down, ready to sound check...)

Guitar player brings up PA main fader and hears "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" from the mains, starts hitting channel mutes to find the source of noise (smart move).

Guitar player -

Drummer - "DO YOU HAVE A GROUND LIFT?!?!?!?!?!"

Guitar player - (see above, yelling at me louder, repeating his statement over and over)

Drummer - (see above, yelling louder, repeating his statement over and over)

Me- About to lose my mind with two grown men yelling at me like I'm a small child with no concept of sound whatsoever... Finally I had enough "Shut the !@#$%^&* up and let me fix this, ok?" Drummer and guitar player look at me like I just *shot their dog*.

I touch one of my strings (BOOM) and it's so loud it nearly lifted the roof off of the club. I immediately look at the input gain for my channel on the mixer - should be at 11 or 12 o'clock, it's-

MAXED OUT!!!

Me - "Who the !@#$ fat- fingered my gain!?!?"

I returned the gain to it's proper position, I solved my own problem in 10 seconds, and all is well, except for me being so pissed I couldn't play well.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  3. You should hear our guitarist and drummer going at it at "10 minutes to nine (showtime)"....

Constantly battling about everything!!

And during the middle of a set, between songs, verbally jabbing each other because one doesn't want to do what the other one is 'dictating'.

Most of the time I just ignore it. But when it's becoming unprofessional, or if it's directed at me, I feel like I'm at the threshold of going nuclear or walking off stage. It's tough to keep your cool and not yell obscenities (all mic's hot of course).

:mad: :mad: :mad:

We are a decent band and I have tons of time and money tied up in this project... it's really frustrating when they can't just 'be pro and get thru the set', then go outside and piss at each other.

4. [/B]Hate - [/B]

I need to re- read your 'schedule a gripe session' advice in the 'why do bands break up' thread...

It seemed like good advice, and I think it might help us.

5. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I wonder how many times that's happened...

There was a time where I was setting up in a large venue & the sound man kept un-muting & muting my channel saying "there's way too much hiss" and "its buzzing" and trying to force me to use his piece-o-**** direct box. Knowing exactly what the problem was, I simply turned the volume knob on my bass 1/2 way up - and proceeded to almost blow the mains CAUSE THE IDIOT HAD MY GAIN KNOB ALL THE WAY UP ON THE BOARD. Gee, why do you think there's so much hiss, genius?

He turned red, turned it down. And that was that, suddenly it wasn't my equipment's fault.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I wish I could get my idiot drummer to understand that when he talks into a hot mic it means everyone in the room can hear him. The other day at a gig he starts talking to this girl that for some reason was behind the stage in the middle of a song and is talking right into the mic. The thing is I yelled at him to stop 3 times and he kept doing it. AARGHH!! How can anyone be such an idiot?
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Thanks! Honestly, I think if my band had done that (had regular gripe sessions), we might have stayed together. The biggest problem was that no one wanted to talk to anyone about anything negative.