Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anoyone live in Fargo ND?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by giantjerk, Oct 23, 2005.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I am traveling to Fargo ND on Wednesday 10/26 and will be there three days. Anything worth seeing or good places to go? Bars, clubs, live music?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

2. There's lots of urban sprawl. On the other hand, the soil is extremely fertile because the river floods all the time. My grandma lives in Fargo, so I don't know it well enough to point out anything cool. I've mostly just been to the mall and a few neighborhood parks.

3. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    OK, anyone out there who does know something about Fargo?

4. there is a movie called fargo... you should watch it

5. i have a sister in Grand forks...

6. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    I lived in Grand Forks for a couple years in the early 90's. Cool people there. Been to Fargo a couple times. No help there I suppose. Dress warm.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I live in Fargo. And will be home all week. Let me check and see what is going on around here this week. I'll get back to ya. :)

Edit: There is at least one good band playing the night of the 26th that I know of for right now. Kick ass bass player.

8. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

:rolleyes:

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

all i know is ,
    stay away from chipper / shredder machines and used car parking lots ....

sorry , another reference to the movie ... i couldn't help myself .
    :D

Edit :
    Steve ,
    are you taking your new bass with you ?

10. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    When I first moved to GF, there was a kid on a farm that got his arms stuck in some kind of machine on the farm. He ended up having them reattached.

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

In my hometown, there was a toddler that got his arms torn off in an auger accident. They were not able to reattach his arms, so he is now going through life with no arms. His dad is a friend of mine. It has been hard on them, but they have dealt with it quite well.

12. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Isn't the move Fargo based in MN? Just an innaccurate title? Anyway, I have relatives there.

Go to Space Aliens, good pizza, neat if you're an outer space fan.
    Margurite's has some nicer basses if you want to go play some. I don't know what the selection is like where you're at, but they've got a lot more than we do in our state.

Golf dome, if you like it. Zoo.

13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, there is plenty of stuff to do around here. Nothing too exciting, but if ya know the area and know where to go and who is playing where, it helps. There is a fairly decent music scene up here.

14. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    If I remember right, this kid was a teenager. I want to say that the surgery didn't take but I can't be sure. It's been over 15 years.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That was a different incident. The thing you are talking about was a teenager, and I believe he did regain use of his arms. But you are right, it was about 15 or more years ago. The accident I was talking about happened only about 4 years ago.

16. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Ryan:

Where is your band playing on the 26th? I have a dinner to attend that night but it should not take too long. I'm going to be in and around the downtown area.

David:

I'm not taking my new bass on this trip, I'm flying with one change of planes so I don't want to risk damaging it. I gigged with it on 10/8 and it got rave reviews (despite my playing ability). The sound guy was a bass player so he was
    keen on making it sound as good as possible. Even though I had played it alot at home through my amp, we were both amazed by the tonal range/flexibility of the Sad pups and preamp.

Steve

17. Nothing too exciting?? I've heard that the duck and goose hunting is fantastic! Am I wrong about that, Ryan?

18. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Steve--My band isn't playing, it is a friend's band. But I will be going there, it is actually in Moorhead. Pretty cool guys, and the bass player is pretty dang good. The bar is called O'Leary's. PM me if you want my cell phone number.

Aaron--Yes, you heard right, there is pretty decent hunting around here. Hunters travel from quite a ways away to come here and hunt waterfowl, and also to hunt pheasants. The motels around the small towns usually get pretty filled up during hunting season.

19. I knew there must be exciting things to do in Fargo. Around here the excitment comes from hay baling, fruit picking and elk season. I've finished the first two and my elk season opens November 5th.

20. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Yeah the pheasant hunting is great in ND. I'm actually going to possibly miss the Chicago GTG because I'm going hunting in SW ND that same weekend.