1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Answer for an urban legend?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shawshank72, Apr 19, 2009.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    If you have active pickups and you turn the amp off but leave the bass itself still plugged in, does it drain the battery?:help:

2. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Yeah.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, the battery drains if there is a cable plugged into the bass. Not an urban legend at all. The amp being on or off has nothing to do with the preamp in your bass being on or off--and the on/off switch for your bass's preamp is actually built into the output jack. Plugging a cable in is literally switching on the preamp.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just like any battery-powered effects pedal.

5. Hi.

Yes, the battery drains, for the reason bongomania explained.

If You don't believe us, just test it ;).

Regards
    Sam

6. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    found a dead bass on more than one sunday morning - always keep a spare ;)

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Correct. The input jack on an active bass is a stereo jack rather than the mono jacks used on a passive. One side is used for the bass signal, the other side is used to turn on the preamp. Makes for a very cheap and easy on/off switch.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Bummer....The bass i usually pick up 3-4 times a day for home is active. was worrying about abusing the input jack. guess ill have to start using another. thanks all

9. I wouldn't worry about abusing the input jack by plugging & unplugging 3-4 times a day. Even if you do manage to wear it out, which I think would take years, how much does it cost to replace? $10?

10. Hi.

Even the POS jacks are "guaranteed" for 1000 or so connections, the better up to a 10000. Don't worry about it.

Regards
    Sam

11. Totally urban legend. The problem is that the basses believe it, as do stompboxes.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

SO - Why aren't active basses phantom powered from the amp like condenser mics are mixer powered?

The stompboxes could be powered off the same feed.

Helloooo equipment makers!!!! WAKE UP!

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Plugging in a cable completes the circuit and therefore drains the battery. Electronics 101.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You'd have to get everybody to agree on a standard since the bass and the amp would have to agree. You need a new connector since you don't want somebody plugging in an active that doesn't accept phantom power and blowing the preamp. And batteries are once of the best sources of electronically clean power.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This sounds like good ole' fashioned common sense in this here post.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they're working on it.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It exists already.

Anyway if the drain worries you, installing an on/off switch on the instrument is a $5 fix.

19. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    what a silly web site. all those z's. that just made me not want to buy anything from that company. why did they make such a bad promotional move? did they hire one of their little 12 yr old sisters to come up with that?

sorry...it's a pet peeve

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I can't but agree.