Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

answer this please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benjamintowle, May 6, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    What type of glue would work best to make a neck-through bass?

(edited by the moderator)

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Benjamin,

I tried replying to your other post, but for some reason, I couldn't get it to open... Even tried rebooting cause I thought that I was frozen... oh well...

Most any good quality glue will work. Generally, 'Hide' glue is used in instrument construction and repair, as it can be loosened with a combination of heat and moisture, (steam), if a repair needs to be made after the instrument is completed. It also has a lengthy setup time and can be worked for quite awhile before it begins to setup. Definitely a plus when you're trying to get things all arranged prior to clamping!!

A good commercial brand of this glue is called 'Titebond' and can be gotten at most any woodworking store. You can also buy hide glue in flakes and mix it up yourself as the need arises. I opt for the Titebond... Less mess.

If you're not interested in the loosening for later repairs, Carpenters glue will work well. Elmer's makes a nice batch of this. Either of these glues will give a good bond that is stronger than the wood itself. I have never had a join loosen or break with either of these glues through numerous instruments.

HTH and good luck!
    -robert

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There's a book called "Make Your Own Guitar" that walks the reader through the making of 3 different guitars, one of which is an 8-string bass. The author uses Titebond exclusively. I'd say that's a fair endorsement.

Not to harp on you and certainly no offense intended, but please work on your spelling and grammar. It's very difficult to understand what you're asking if you misspell a lot of words, speak in fragments, and don't have good sentence structure. I'm not an English teacher, but I can tell you that if you're more careful about your posts, you're likely to get much better responses;)

Thanks for your understanding:D