1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ANSWER TO WHO PLAYED BASS ON "I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER"

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by scottgedwards, Apr 14, 2006.

1. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Apr 14, 2006
    APRIL 13, 2006
    I am Scott Edwards, LA Bass player who played with Stevie Wonder from June 1970 to Sept 1973. Reading about the confusion as to who played on "I Was Made To Love Her", seeing as how no one has ever asked the artist, Stevie Wonder, the question, I called Ray Parker Jr, who has just released a new CD, for Stevie's numbers. I called, talked to Stevie on April 12, 2006, told him I had talked to Bob Babbitt recently, Stevie told me to tell Bob hello. I then told Stevie about the controversy. Stevie told me, Jamerson played bass on "I Was Made To Love Her". The debate is now officially over.
    Scott Edwards/LA

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Welcome to TalkBass Scott!

I hope you stick around some.... I know I'd like to hear more about your history AND what you are up to now.

3. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Apr 14, 2006
    How you doing man? I'm in Long Beach where my wife and I own a bead store. I do some projects once in awhile. After I quit Stevie in Sept 1973, Ray Parker hooked me up with Lamont Dozier and Mckinley Jackson and the LA Recording scene in Jan 1974. In June 1974, Wilton Felder started referring studio bass work to me which led to Gene Page sesions, and I soon became very busy around town. Around 1983, business started slowing up, especially for the disco players who were doing up to four sesssions a day(myself, James Gadson, Ed Green, Henry Davis. Now most of the musicians are collecting reuse payments on movies, commercials etc. since the rappers music isn't for everyone. Some of my hits were Sunshine Of My Life, Allis Fair In love, Bad Girl, Shake Your Groove Thing, I Will Survive, Rhinestone Cowboy. I was surprised to get a new use check for a rapper using the theme song from Night Rider, Kit The Talking Car. The most complete compilations of my stuff seem to be this one on Yahoo http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Scott Edwards:1927057484

Paste this thread into your url and lots of pages will show up. The other location of good history seems to be allmusic.com.
    Anyway, I hope this new information about "I Was Made To Love Her", helps out.
    Later.
    Scott Edwards

4. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Welcome to TB. I knew it had to be Jamerson.

Love your work!

5. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks. Take it easy.
    Scott

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Welcome to TB man!! Get ready for many sleepless nights spent reading posts on "Brazilian Vs. Peruvian Snakewood", lusting over incredible gear, and getting some of the best bass-related (non-related as well) insight that you could ever hope for.

I've never understood the 'controversy' surrounding Jamerson's resume in cases where another possible bassist is in question as the originator. He was such a singular identity on the bass, and even though elements of his playing can be heard as common to other players of the time, and also excluding all the countless who mimicked his approach, you can always tell the difference. Alot of players capture his tone, his note choices, and even a large part of his personality, but no one can touch the man on the passion and absolute melodic conviction of every single note.

7. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Apr 14, 2006
    There was and will only be "one Jamerson". Later.
    Scott