Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Answered an ad to start 80's band...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 14, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Answered an ad a few days ago to start an 80's band in NNJ, and so far the guys seem alright. We've chatted a bit, and the guitarist seems pretty on top of things, while the drummer is a bit out there, may work for the better. For the first rehersal they want me to learn Summer of '69 and Breaking the Law by Judas Priest. Not the most technical stuff in the world, but should give us a good start they think.

I'm pretty pumped, I love 80's music, and I may have a chance to bust out some synth work. Maybe a bit of Rush thrown in. Maybe some YYZ...?

2. -in the 80s.:D Seriously, I'm a bit envious. Some friends have talked about doing a mostly-Police-cover-to-start-with band, but I'm not holding my breath...

3. I am also trying to start an 80's band with a friend of mine.
    My current band is a 50's 60's & 70's show band, and I've noticed
    that the people who are the bulk of our crowd are in their 50's & 60's.
    I think to have some longevity, I'm going to have to go with a slightly
    younger target audience. This is a scary step for me, up until this
    point I've only joined already established bands. I've never actually
    tried to get one up and running. But I love that 80's vibe ( of course
    it helps that that's when I grew up). I just hope it can all come
    together buy June, that's when my current band is done.
    It would be nice to have no break between bands, or just a small one.

I hope yours goes well. This seems to be the start of a trend.
    Good luck to us all!

4. Man, when I hear "80's Band" I think of bands like The Cure, Modern English, XTC, Tears for Fears and so on... I dig all those bands (the rock ones too) - Since Rush has been around for ever, I don't think of them or Judas Priest as 80's bands... But I suppose that's cuz I did the 80's band thing and it was 90% 80's alternative pop/rock - not hair/metal... I need a new perspective! LOL

--tz

5. I am in a cover band ( a Supergroup to be exact..hehe..) and we headlined an 80's tribute show out of ten bands a few months ago. It was a great time. We covered the "Magnum P.I. theme", "Ghostbusters", "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", "G.I. Joe cartoon theme", "Knight Rider", "Uncontrollable Urge" (Devo) and "Welcome to the Jungle". Needless to say, it was freaking awesome. Good luck man, it's difficult to gage how the chemistry with new guys will pan out... but if you are all into the music you choose to cover you'll get along just fine.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Same here. I think of the Smiths, Scritti Politti, Tangerine Dream, Men at Work and Human League.

DCat,

7. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    All I think when I hear 80's band is Ozzy Osbourne.

(sings out of key)"I'm goin' off the rails on the crazy train!!"

(air guita-err, bass))Dun-dun-dun, dun-dun dun, dun-dun dun, dun dun! Dun-dun-dun, dun-dun dun, duhn!

8. DaftCat - so... when is our first rehearsal? Two basses is not totally unprecedented... Remember Ned's Atomic Dustbin? Not 80's but hey...

9. Dude I am jelous. I wish I could play all 80's all the time.

10. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I love YYZ. :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

11. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Yeah I do. Haven't heard a peep since early 90s tho.
    In 10 years, 90s music will be as "nostalgic" as 80s music is now.
    Scary!

DCat,

12. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I play in a rock cover band and we do stuff from the mid-70's, 80's, a little bit of 90's and a little bit of current stuff. The majority is stuff from the late 70's and early 80's. We were doing "White Wedding" and people go ape-sh*t over that song! We also play Crazy Train, Hot Blooded by Foreigner, some Priest, Billy Squier, Bon Jovi...and on and on. It's so much fun to jam to all of these songs that just about everyone knows. Even younger people in their 20's know these tunes.

We have a motto in our band..."If it wasn't a rock radio hit, then we're not playin' it!"

Oh yeah....remember "Turn Up the Radio" by Autograph?!? That's in there too!

Fun stuff man! Have a blast with this band....nuttin' but cool music!

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Man- I also played in 80s bands in the 80s! We also did some 60s music. I miss playing Level 42...:(

14. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i am in an '80s cover band now, and i have a great time with the shows. We try to be somewhat random with the songs, and each show is a bit different. The crowd always gets into it, which is nice as well.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Congratulations!!! Sounds like fun. Especially the Priest and Rush!

Cherie :)

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm excited, maybe throw in some Extreme, Mr. Big, stuff of that sort. Something hopefully where I'll be doubling on synth too :)

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There used to be an 80's concept band doing the rounds in Sydney a few years ago. The called themselves "80's Flashback" and they all wore Flash Gordon outfits. It's pretty hokey sounding but the crowd loved it, probably because the guys in the band didn't take themselves too seriously.

And because you're not restricted to any particular musical style, you can read the crowd and play Hair metal on nights where the crowd seem to want it, and Cindy Lauper type stuff otherwise.

18. We used to do some 80's stuff - the crowd loved it!!

One of the really fun things we used to do was play more obscure hits that people would still remember:

Working For the Weekend / Loverboy
    Video Killed the Radio Star / Buggles (still play this one!)
    Wouldn't it Be Good / Nik Kershaw
    Love & Pride / King
    All I Need Is A Miracle / Mike & Mechanics

etc etc:D

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ...oh and what two words immediately spring to mind when you think of 80's bands?

LEATHER PANTS!

You gotta do it man!

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Oh God! Make it STOP!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D