1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anthony Jackson -- 70s Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twinjet, Nov 17, 2018.

1. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey all,
    I'm just enchanted by Anthony Jackson's sound on the Buddy Rich record Tuff Dude/Very Live at Buddy's Place. I understand he used Ampeg at one point. Any clues as to what he may have used?

Start at 12:00 for bass solo.

2. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    zombie thead revival....

I can't speak to the Buddy Rich recording, though one could speculate he might have used a B15 or something similar.

In the Grover Washington and Al Dimeola videos here, it looks like he's using an Acoustic 370 with an Ampeg 8x10 speaker.

3. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Whoa! I hadn't seen this reply. Thanks for swinging by, Leo. I only figured it could be an Ampeg of some variety. Though, now I'm curious what he used during the Smith days...

4. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Looks like a Sunn in this one shown in April of '73, @ 0:16, 1:18, 1:22, 29:09.

Is it his regular amp? I dunno.

5. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    That's Scott Edwards playing bass. Hard to tell with how out of focus he was.
    Stevie Wonder on Sesame Street