Anthony Jackson Bass Artistry BP Column

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sareston, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Hi everyone,

Haven't seen guys talking a lot about this in the AJ topics, but does anyone has the Bass Player Magazine issues that feature his monthly column (I think it was called "Bass Artistry")?

If I'm right, it was around in the early 90's. Here in Brasil it was tough to get the magazine, but I remember I had one the had one of those columns and it changed my life.

The Owl likes this.
  2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Yes. I have all the BP magazines were he wrote an opinion piece.

Always informative and entertaining

3. The thing is it would be great if someone could scan those, but I imagine you wouldn't be up for it :--D

4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I remember it and also remember his last column bashing slapping which I thought was kind of funny. I don't have them now though. I started subscribing when it was every 6 months or a quarterly.

The Owl likes this.
  5. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I remember that one. He had a ketchup bottle with a picture of a thumb on the label, the gist of the article being slap was used like ketchup...a cheap way spice up bland food. He was definitely opinionated and not afraid to express it. I also remember one about the conservative Jazz police and he named Wynton Marsalis specifically. I enjoyed him.

The Owl and bobyoung53 like this.
  6. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Yup, i liked him too. I don't remember the ketchup bottle specifically but that sounds about right.

The Owl likes this.
  7. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    @Leo Smith might know.

Hey Leo!

8. I only had one issue that had his column (BP magazines were very hard to get in Brasil at that time), and would really love to read all of them.

Even though I might disagree with some of anyone's position, AJ's input as musician and developer of the bass guitar (and it's idiom) in the past 40 years make me want to know what he has to say about the instrument and music... And in the case of Mr Jackson, I think it would be a good thing to have that saved in pdf around in the internet for anyone interested to check it out, even if it is to realize after all it is a big pile of ******** :-D

Hope someone shows up willing to help!!

9. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I suspect it will be a copyright issue loading his columns from Bass Player onto here.

I live in New Zealand so do not know if an American based website would be OK with that.

10. Yes, maybe you are right...

I would accept private contributions, anyway! :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2022