1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anthony Jackson Contrabass Guitar Library at BassSix.com

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brad Maestas, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Anyone see this? Very rare to see any AJ on the web! Apparently, AJ has recorded a full sample library of his instrument that will be offered for sale sometime this year! According to the BassSix wesite, the Anthony Jackson Six String Contrabass Library, Vol. 1, will be available for GigaStudio3, Kontakt, ESX-24 and Halion in the second quarter of 2006 for a sale price of $299.00.
    http://www.basssix.com/

Below is a related article from Mix Magazine. Both links offer many juicy details about his gear and about the sample library recording process. Great insight into what went on.
    http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_new_york_metro_50/

Crazy!

2. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Excerpts from the Mix article:
    “Anthony had been reluctant to do this library,” DeRenzo continues. “It's a very time-consuming endeavor, and he wanted to be able to do a very high-quality recording. But using today's Tascam GigaSampler 3 and GigaStudio — where you can have very long sounds, decay and full notes in length — convinced him that now was the right time.”

"Not only were a number of Jackson's signature articulations planned — including palm muting, modulated mutes, flat-pick technique with Meta Flanger and Omnipressor, articulations with glisses, string effects and more — but also every event would be recorded a minimum of three separate times to take full advantage of GigaSampler's Random function."

"With Jackson's exacting work ethic factored into the mix, the recording sessions required a patient frame of mind to complete the work. “The biggest surprise was the amount of time it takes for a note on an instrument like this to be performed and literally decay,” Conrad observes. “With multiple versions of five levels of velocity, 28 frets and six strings, all the samples add up to approximately 1,800 notes. The longest, lowest notes last up to a minute 40 seconds, and it's almost like a Zen kind of thing sitting and waiting for the notes to decay. Anthony's level of perfectionism is as high as you're going to get, which means he's got to sit and hold his Fodera contrabass guitar for that entire time without moving it an inch. It was daunting.”

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. I'd GO CRAZY. But biggup to Anthony, one of my first bass influences.

4. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Has this already been posted or does no one care? :D

5. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I hadn't seen this before. Very cool.

6. Just another reason why Anthony is one of the greatest to ever pick up the instrument.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    You know it Bernie!
    I figured he would be fairly opposed to the idea of sampling his bass. It seems so sacred to him. It almost made me think of how Aboriginal people feel about having their picture taken. Apparently Mr. Jackson is all about it! I wonder what the library will sound like?

8. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    You know...if a person had a midi setup on their bass they could use it to trigger these samples and get even closer than ever before possible to that $20k Fodera sound on a budget. It could definitely work.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Now that would be an interesting experiment!

10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Brad. It's not what you or the library's authors were expecting, but here are two rare examples. I hope to have something more representative eventually. In the meantime I can report that Bass VI - The Anthony Jackson Contrabass Guitar Library is very deep:

Modular synthesis from the perspective of a bassist

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you think about it, AJ actually played the notes, and he is going to get a nice check. I know he had some serious health issues, and this income stream may be very beneficial to him.

12. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008