Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson gig last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassgeek, May 11, 2001.

1. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    If the Michel Camilo trio with Anthony Jackson and Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez comes anywhere near your town, don't miss it!! I saw them last night at the Blue Note in New York and Anthony (not to mention the other cats) absolutely killed. He was fun to watch as well as listen to. Palm muting, volume swells, upper register chordal solos, you name it. But the thing that blew me away the most (besides his unmistakeable groove) was his sense and use of dynamics. He would go from a thundering B-string vamp to a very high, whisper-soft melody that cascaded down, crescendoing all the way, to another killer groove all the time. He sounded like a fine classical pianist on the bass as far as sensitivity, touch and control of the dynamics. I don't know how much this band tours in the States, so you've got three more nights to get to NYC to see them!

2. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    I was just reading about Michel Camilo. He's in the documentary on Latin jazz,"Calle 54"(or something like that), that opened today. I was wondering if Anthony J is in there playing with him.

I'm in Boston, I wonder if Michel is heading this way from NY. I'd love to check him out.

Thanks for the recap. That is a show to watch out for.

3. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Funny you mention "Calle 54"- I was just watching the trailer for it on Eonline.com. There is a very quick shot of Anthony and his Fodera 6 in the clip. So, it looks like he's in the movie with Michel.

4. clave

clave

Jan 1, 2001
    Anthony is Killin'!

5. I was in the first row at a free gig in my city last summer: best 2000 concert I listened to.

6. Aaaahhhh, my fave trio. The Big band is killin' too. AJ is, in my very humble opinion, the undisputed world champion of bass players.

7. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey there,

Any of you fans want to suggest a Michel Camilo CD that has some really exceptional AJ on it.

Thanks!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    All of Michel's trio CDs that I have with AJ have what I'd call stellar ensemble playing. He's not about pyrotechnics but has chops galore and always sounds like he's playing the song he's playing, if you get what I mean. Practically no solos but his lock with Michel and Dave Weckl is ridiculous. Probably my favorite overall bassist.

His stuff with Steve Khan is just as much fun.

9. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Brad,

Thanks for the reply man.

I ended up picking up "One More Once" but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Looking forward to it.

Take care.

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Is there anywhere I can look to see a list of future gigs? That would just make my day if such a list existed. Unfortunately, there are very few Anthony Jackson resources on the internet, especially current ones.

11. One More Once is THE album for me, not just for AJ, but a KILLER horn section as well!

12. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Marty,

I got half way through it yesterday. AJ is unbelievable and yeah the horns are just as incredible. Someone else mentioned how strong the ensemble playing is, absolutely.

And I'll second G's request, does anyone know which way Michel's gig is heading? I've never seen AJ play and I know he'd rip my head off. Actually I've seen clips of that Simon and Garfunkel concer in Central Park but they mostly show him in between songs looking pissed off.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    AJ usually looked pissed off. It's his game face.

14. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    A-ha!

Actually he was smiling in that last picture of him in BP. I didn't know it was him at first because it looked like he'd lost 100lbs or something. Must have been all that weight making him cranky.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    AJ had been ill and lost a lot of weight. I saw him in NY last summer, looked good....and he was smiling.

16. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I read here earlier that AJ had a stroke a while back and the wieghtloss was a part of his recovery. He does look great and I hope he feels as good as he sounds on the Michel Camilo CD,s I just picked the Rendezvous CD a few weeks back. All I can say is that man is BAD!