Anthony Jackson...good God....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by songwriter21, Apr 30, 2021.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I've known about his playing for some time, and this tune still kills me. His playing is simply wicked on this tune.

bassbrad, PockySteve, J_Bass and 7 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I was listening to that just the other day for Al's impeccable guitar playing, but yeah, the bass rips it up too. Didn't think to check who it was though - not too surprised, had to be a virtuoso bassist to keep up.

songwriter21 likes this.
  3. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    For a sitting player, he gets into it, too! Haven't heard any good news about his most recent ailment, though (no specifics on that ailment, either). Hope the guy is still around and will recover/has recovered.

bholder likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He is still around and playing a little, the last I saw when was at a seminar at Berklee.

J_Bass, Jhengsman and songwriter21 like this.
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    That's the album that introduced me to Anthony Jackson, and I've been a huge fan ever since. Killer playing!

Dr. Cheese and songwriter21 like this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Same here...though tbh there was something about AJ's tone on those early DiMeola albums that really turned me off. His playing was undeniably impeccable, but something about his sound just didn't sit well with me, so it took a few more years before I was able to consider myself an AJ fan.

The Owl, songwriter21 and MonetBass like this.
  7. Absolute Master at work. My continued hopes for his recovery.

Lee Moses, songwriter21 and Ronzo like this.
  8. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    AJ is by far my most favourite bass player ever. As incredible as his lines are in themselves it's the subtlely and nuances in his playing that floor me. Everything is so well thought out from note choice, the register, the duration of notes and how he articles them. In that regard I think a lot of his playing is really understated in terms of just how good he actually is. Luther Vandross - A House Is Not A Home is one of my favourite lines ever, simple but so so perfect.

If you have time for a watch/listen on youtube check out the Grover Washington gig and the Dave Grusin & The NY/LA Dream Band. AJ just crushes it with Steve Gadd on drums.

The Michel Camilo New York Band is also well worth a watch. One of his fills on Dreamlight gets me every single time. The playing from start to end is truly knock out.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Stroke as far as I've heard.

10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ugh, that's so s***ty...dude could SLAY.

11. Good phones required.

The whole tune is outstanding, but in particular from 3:34 onward - after Steve Gadd's solo. Ritenour starts jamming, but listen to Anthony closely underneath. The bass is astonishingly good. Reminds me I'm listening to the greatest ensemble bassist of the modern era.

Jackson and Gadd (and Tee, and Gale for that matter) could blow away any headline act that hired them - without exception - if the act themselves were not right on top of their game. Of course they'd never have done this intentionally, that's not what they're about, but when you hire the best rhythm section money can buy, who play with a virtuosity and strength that is unmatched, you'd better damn well bring it. :D

Bob_Ross and bholder like this.
  12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Thread Drift ...or Thread Tangent at least: I find it interesting that any number of bass players could be plugged into that rhythm section -- e.g., see the numerous live and/or on record examples with Anthony Jackson or Gordon Edwards or Tony Levin -- but there never seemed to be a substitute for Gadd, Gale, and Tee.

(Not saying there aren't other A-List players, just that when you want that NYC/Stuff/R&B sound, you hire these guys...period.)

JimK likes this.
  13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Aside from hearing him(anonymously)on the O’Jays’ “For The Live Of Money”, my first encounter was on a 1975 album by Polish jazz violinist Michel Urbaniak, fast and furious playing(with the phase shifter in place)...

I also had that DiMeola album, but got really tired of his style; went back to the early RTF stuff and enjoyed Connors more.

The Owl and JimK like this.
  14. Very true Bob, but I think the section found it's ultimate expression when AJ was on bass

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...another-
    Gary King!
    All due respect to the others, King/Gadd/Gale/Tee are on one of my-still favourite albums, New York Connection by Tom Scott.

bassbrad likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021