Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson jazz trio video - with Hiromi

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 23, 2005.

1. Hi peeps - just found this nice video of AJ playing with this storming young pianist Hiromi (she's played with that young dude Tony Grey) - but this clip is on her website. I heard the rumble of the bass and thought it sounded great - then I saw the big bass played by the big guy and knew it was the captain of the low end - anyway I don't know who the drummer is - but this is really cool:

http://www.hiromimusic.com/videos.htm

Mike

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What player do you need to open that file? It's an .rm :eyebrow:

4. Real Player bro - it's one of those nasty PC players - but the latest version ain't too bad- bung it into Google and you can download it for free.

M

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I play keys (although by comparison, apparently not), and for me the fun is watching Hiromi. Man, she smokes. I gotta get some of her stuff.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got both of Hiromi's albums. They're really great...I have to say that I actually prefer Tony Grey's playing on her second album to Anthony Jackson's. It's nice that he takes a couple solos on each of the albums, considering how rarely he does it- he has a unique way of doing it...very authoritative and really trying to let the tone of the notes establish a presence (although there's one solo-ish part he does on her first album that sounds TERRIBLE to me...like a new player attempting to play three-finger triplets).

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    this is amazing! This girl really smokes!!! I'm listening to the other clips on the site now.

8. Dunno why, but I really don't dig it.
    Not my cup of tea, I suppose!

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great stuff. The drummer is Martin Valihora. I believe he went to Berklee at the same time as Hiromi and Tony Grey.

10. WOW!

11. Yeah, I love that clip! Watch it often.

12. Is it just me or does anybody else think Hiromis playing (in "Desert On The Moon") very closely resembles the style of Eliane Elias? Eliane played something that sounded very similar on the Calle 54 DVD.

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    That chick rips! She reminds me of Brian Haas A LOT - her musical style and even the way she plays.