Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson Query

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by trainyourhuman, Apr 21, 2001.

1. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I am intrigued as to the recent projects that Anthony Jackson has been on recently. Lets say in the last ten years. I have been having a hard time tracking him down on the internet. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can hear some more recent examples of his playing? Albums, videos, its all good. Any information would be appreciated.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

G - Believe it or not, I recently read somewhere that he is working with some luthier/company on tweaking the basic instrument....again!!!! (just like the old days).

I'll see if I can find the site again.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AJ in the last 10 years?
    The Michel Camilo cds(Rendevous, One More Once, & Thru My Eyes) have been released within the past decade.
    IF you can find AJ doin' his thing on Steve Khan's Crossings or Headline cds...pick 'em up as they're getting harder to find. The Eyewitness band stuff from the late '70s/early '80s are still "fresh"(IMO)...
    I think the last thing I picked up with AJ(maybe a year or so ago)is the Trio Live In Tokyo cd with Gadd & Michel Petrucciani...a very straightahead-ish album.

4. trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Thanks for the information. Anything I could find out would be greatly appreciated.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He works extensively with drummer Simon Phillips.
    Check out Simon's solo albums.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  7. trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    It saddens me to watch Mr. Jackson slide to the bottom of this page as treads about flea vs. whoever and fieldy and the guy from mudvayne flourish. I think that all bass players could pick up something from Anthony Jackson. He is one of the few true innovators left on the instrument, and has shown undeniable decication to his own personal betterment and the betterment of his craft.

8. if it cheers you up you can add me as another big fan. hopfully JWC will not find this thread and start a Flea vs. Anthony Jackson thread.

i would guess if you did ask flea he also would be a big fan.

9. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I too am a big fan of Mr. Jackson. I just found out here in this forum, that he suffered a stroke recently but has recovered well. I also pickup the Michel Camilo album last week and it is stupendous to say the least. I know you are looking for new stuff, but I think I am gonnna go get some of that older stuff he did with Steely Dan and Donald Fagen this week. His playing on the Nightfly album is great. Thanks for posting about such a great player!