anthony jackson with wayne krantz @55bar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GooseYArd, Feb 27, 2004.

1. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    Just came back from this, were there any other tb people there?

I think I almost had a stroke, what an unbelievable group.

p.s. I forgot to make a review.

so AJ comes in early and gets all set up, he just played through some banged up head and cabinet they had there. Then he and Ari Hoenig proceeded to tear the place apart. This was one of the most unbelievable displays of musicianship that I have ever witnessed. Even my wife almost fell off her stool. WK was not too shabby either- they did a lot of the on-a-dime tempo changes, and AJ did a lot of serious grimacing while playing some sick AJ-style octaves.

This was clearly the best 15$ I ever spent, although you have to get there early, and as a result, I probably spent 4 times that on beer.

long live the 55!

it was a total sausage fest, there were about as many girls there as at a rush concert, maybe 3.

at one point AJ came in and sat the big contrabass down and if it hadnt been for my wife yelling at me i had plans to grab it and run out the back door, although i have almost no idea how to get out of manhattan without my wifes help, so I almost surely would have been captured. if you see him, don't tell him.
  2. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    If I see him, I'll try not to tell him you said he was wanking either.
  3. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    You go ahead and tell him I'll play circles around him with my 3 string bass too.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

wish i saw that show! besides Krantz and the great tonyJ, heard Ari's a mad man when it comes to his drumming.

did he do any of the "melodic" drumming he's known for? kinda trippy when you hear him do "autumn leaves" on his frickin' drums!

btw, seems like Krantz and Ari do thursdays as a residency. wonder what other bassist might sit in next. :eek:
  5. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    he is definitely among a handful of the finest drummers I have ever seen, three of whom are now guys who studied with Ed Soph at North Texas (well one of them is Ed Soph himself, but I guess that counts as having studied with Ed Soph)

Tim Lefebvre is the cat I really wanted to see since I've been listening to the live@55 stuff, but I will take what I can get What a compromise I had to make eh? :) I was totally a teenage girl in the presence of AJ.

Have you heard them much WK trio before? It's kind of hard to describe exactly, but I'd say the songs usually have a head, maybe a chorus but no solos really. The improvisational component of his music is the groove itself, so I didn't get to see him do his melodic drumming but did I ever see that man lay down a sick, sick groove.

There's another regular bass now, I think its Paul Socolow (sp?). I think now you can look at the WK flyer and interpret it as an indication that any name listed in the bass spot is going to be a sick player. I have to find a way to get down here every thursday.
  6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Man! One of my all time fave bassists with one of my fave guitarists in a trio format (I just LOVE Guitar Jazz trios)?!?!

I am so jealous I have to go hit myself with a 2x4 full of rusty nails. :spit:
  7. Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    That sounds like a great time. I try to get over to the 55 whenever I can. I've checked out Mike Stern a bunch of times there and once saw Wayne Krantz. I wish I was there to see this last one you were talking about. :bassist:
  8. the last time I saw AJ was at a Jazz Fest with Michel Camilo... All the non musicians couldn't belive that all that sound came out of a bass guitar!!!
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Man, what a show that must have been... Ahhh the 55... I must have spent 5 years straight going there to see either Billy Bank's (jazz vionlinist, used to play with Pharoh) gigs on Sundays, Leni and Mike Stern on Mondays and Wednesdays... And the Thursday nights there have got to be historic.

Going to 55 Christopher Street used to be a cult thing that a group of us from Boston would get down at least twice a month to catch... There was always a ride going from Back Bay Boston to NYC, so it was always a blast to get there as well... Ahh how I miss the northeast.

Everyone from Will Lee, Linc, AJ subbing in on bass... Dave Binney would show up from time to time, I think that I have even seen Gene Lake and Daniel Sadownick there as well. When Zack and Linc were the regulars in the WK, it was off of the hook! I have to say MY favorite WK Trio still has to be the Trio with Tim Lefebve and Keith Carlock.... OMG!!

....On a side note, Tim Lefebve and Zack Danzinger (the earlier WK drummer) had an Avant Garde group together, but I'm not sure if they are gigging much these days... It was called Boomish, man there was some wild stuff those two did in that group.

Andy, glad you enjoyed it... Try to check out Bruce Bartlett at Ryles in Inman Sq. in Cambridge sometime... Some wild jazzfusion trio stuff I know that you would enjoy!
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Jackson & Krantz have hooked up previously on Signals.
  11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    True, I was aware of this. Not in a trio format though. Problem is I can't seem to find it locally. I guess I'll have to order it somewhere.

I wish Wayne would do some more trio records. I have a couple of his and they're great. I also wish Anthony would hook back up with Steve Khan/Eyewitness. It was basically a trio with a percussionist/vocalist in that group. Excellent.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yep, Eyewitness is one on my favourites...Jackson was perfect for that sorta open-ended band environment.
    I finally got Blades onto cd after finally buying a burner.

Signals may be a difficult find.
    (FWIW, not as 'good' as either of the 2 Krantz discs with Goines/Danzinger).
  13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Which one is "Blades" and who are the personel?
    I've got a lot of Steve Khan (with Ron Carter and John Pattitucci, as well as the Anthony stuff), but I don't have that one (I may have had it and lost it because it sounds familiar).
  14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    blades has the same personel as eyewitness and casa loco. its the only one that came out on passport though. the others i think were island/antilles releases.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

It was the 3rd Eyewitness is LIVE, similar artwork to the Eyewitness & Casa Loco. Falon?

IIRC, was released in Japan as Modern Times.
  16. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Great Album ! :bassist: