Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dabass, Feb 27, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Hey I really admire Anthony Jackson's bass playing! I haven't heard any of his solo's! Any recommendations on great stuff he has played including solo's!!

2. You should get alot of responses to this thread! Some of the faves in my collection:

Triangulo - Michel Camilo: This is a trio with AJ and El Negro. It has a traditional jazz sound with some latin stuff as well. One of my favorite albums.

Brain - Hiromi: Anthony guests on three tracks in this one. Hiromi and Martin all play with AJ very well. His solo on 'If' is really something to check out.

Steve Khan - Public Access: All of Steves albums with AJ are great but this one is available on the used market more often than the others. Dave Weckl and Anthony have always paired wonderfully and this album is no different. Highly recommended.

Those are a few great albums but if you look for any of Anthony's work with Michel Camilo, Michel Petrucciani, Al DiMeola and cats like that, you'll find Anthony doing alot of solo work.

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions.

-Bernie

3. Add to the list:

Al DiMeola: "Tour de Force Live"

Michel Camilo: "Rendezvous"

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AJ is more well known for his ensemble playing/grooves vs. outright solos, per se...unless things have changed since his interview in an '85 or so Guitar Player mag.
    ;)

Solo-wise...from my listening experience, the Eyewitness live stuff is where it's at(Blades & the Live In Koln, Germany boot).

IIRC, in that '85 Guitar Player interview, Jackson talks about his bassline on the title track to Eric Gale's Ginseng Woman...in short, he sez that part is a 'solo' without overtly being a solo. IMO, this type of playing is what he is best known for.
    Jackson's Steely Dan & Donald Fagen tracks are keepers..."Glamour Profession", "My Rival", "I.G.Y.", & "Ruby, Baby".
    "Glamour Profession" has enuff crossing the barline figures to test you. Trust me.

Jackson's Chaka Khan tracks, too rate way up there..."Whatcha Gonna Do For Me", "I Know You, I Live You"(an overlooked gem?), etc.

...and AJ's "I'm Gonna Miss You In The Morning" from Quincy Jones' Sounds & Stuff LIke That.

Someone else can yammer on about the O'Jays & Al Dimeola.

5. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I love seeing Anthony Jackson Live. Great player and a great feel with alot of intellect behind it. I remember I saw him playing a swing type tune with Peter Erskine playing drums.
    Peter was playing a swing while on the A section anthony was playing this line in 5. Like in a double time feel. Sax Player was soloing and on the B section Anthony came down on the one that took the whole band in another zone. He plays things you just don't see everyday.
    I love the way he plays on the Camilo cd's that were mentioned before but I love the way he approaches the songs on the SUNTAN CD. Hearing Anthony soloing is rare. But sometimes when seeing him he does. And it is amazing. He is a bassist who feels that soloing is not a bassist primary function. But the guy can.
    I love alot of the older Chaka Chan CD's of the late 70's early 80's. Check them out. I feel only a few realize how talented he really is. He really is up there with the best. The very best.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Before I started playing the bass and was VERY into afro-cuban/jazz piano I listened to Rendezvous ALL the time.
    Turns out the phenomenal bass playing was AJ!

Wonderful. I'll have to steal that CD back from my dad.

And I just purchased Triangulo off of www.half.com, GREAT eBay type site with really cheap CDs!

7. Nice! You will not regret it!

8. I forgot his cd's with Roland Vazquez... good stuff!!! he has a short but sweet solo on the "FURTHER DANCE" cd.

9. I saw Anthony Jackson playing with Michel Camilo and Horacio "El Negro" Hernández" live at the Puerto Rico's Heineken Jazz Fest a few years ago. He's just one of the best.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anthony Jackson, like his inspiration (Jamerson) has mastered the art of playing in a solo-like fashion within the structure of the song, oftimes defining the structure. He's the guy who made me realize how much control I as a bassist have over an ensemble.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well said Brad!

12. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Hey man, you just took me way back w/ this! I used to play in Roland Vazquez's band, my friend Gene Perez was in the band before me. I would play when Anthony wasn't available. I last worked w/ the band in '89. I have some live cassette tapes of AJ w/ this band .... INCREDIBLE PLAYING!

Easy,
    R

P.S. How's things in the big mango?

13. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    Funk in a a Mason Jar by Harvey Mason is the album and the song is Fantasia where AJ really shines! What a bass sound and bass lines!
    I think it's his best playing ever!

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    when you get a chance, check out his solo on 'From Within' on Calle 54.

Killer AJ performance!

Also there is a fountain of info about him on his Yahoo group.

15. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Haven't read through all of these posts yet so if someone already mentioned this I apologize. There is a Grover Washington Live VCR. Concert in Philly with AJ on the bass. Really great stuff, great all around band. Gadd's on the drums. Lot's of fun stuff on it including some footage of Dr. J doing his thing for the Sixers. I guess he and Grover were good friends.

16. That's good to know, I would love to hear some of those tapes... With whom do you play these days? I'm going to NYC in april so maybe I can catch one of your gigs...

P.S. Things in the Big MANGO are very good thanx for asking!!!

RULY.

17. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    his playing on Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy is brilliant.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That was my first non R&B exposure to AJ that I knew of. I can remember listening to "Race With Devil on Spanish Highway" and doing a double take when I realized that the bassist was doubling Al DiMeola's lines:eek:

Then I checked him out on Lee Ritenour's "Captain Fingers. Loaded with top studio bassists, AJ stood out.

19. currentbuzz

currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    You guys should check AJ stint with Lee Ritenour "Overtime" he's a killer!