Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by keithconn, Jan 11, 2002.

1. I just picked up Michel Camilo's CD 'Thru My Eyes'. Anthony Jackons work is INSANE!! John Patitucci plays on the CD as well, but Jackons work is outstanding.

Check it out!

What do you think?

:D

2. This was supposted to be in 'Bassists' ... sorry!
    :eek:

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, you could always delete it and then create the thread in the intended forum...

Oh heck, I'll move it.

4. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    If the cd impressed you, I think you should make an effort to see AJ live with Camilo or any other group. He is a monster. Easily as prolific as Jaco or Paul Chambers or (insert what used to be your favorite bassist).

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Saw him at Bass Day 2000, he looked good. He's one of my biggest influences. Definitely a unique voice on the instrument

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    True:)

7. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    Htag, I never thought of AJ as underrated. Maybe I am just old enough to remember all of his work when it first hit. I mean, he has recorded with practically everybody. I realize that the younger guys are subjected to much bull****, but they can and will grow out of it.
    Funny about the birthday/influences thing. I do need to add some stuff to my influences list. If I am not mistaken I left off all the upright players AND James Jamerson.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's what TalkBass T-shirts are for!:p

9. If you liked "Thru My Eyes", get "One More Once" which will really freak ya out. Camilo and Jackson are joined by a big band, the likes of which I guarantee you have not heard before. Marvin Smitty Smith on drums, Paquito D'Rivera on alto, etc, etc. Not many Bassists in the world can match anything a sax player throws at them...heh, heh.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Or double Al Di Meola two octaves down.

11. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    Have you guys checked out AJ on Steve Khan's Eyewitness. Brutal. My personal favorite cd is "Public Access"(out of print), but all of the Eyewitness stuff kills.

12. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I love AJ's work with Camilo, but I really dig his pop stufff too with Fagen and Paul Simon too. What a great bass player. Anthony, you da man!

13. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    Htag, wasn't "Borderline" a synth bass track? "Poppy's Girls"(?) on the Wiz soundtrack was one of the first songs I ever tried to learn by ear. I don't think I was playing bass yet when he did "For the Love of Money".

14. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    "Papillon" and "What Cha Gonna Do For ME" are both on the "Epiphany" cd. Also on that cd is Me'Shell Ndegeocello, she is on 2 cuts. Marcus Miller is on one cut playing fretless (he may be my favorite fretless player). A potpouri of good basslines (sorry about the p word, but the wife was handy)
    I keep hoping that Chaka does a bass/vocal duets cd, she certainly keeps company with great bass players.
    As for Madonna, I have avoided her like the plague.

15. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    As far as women asking you out being ok, that was cool in the 70's, long before M. I am sure that I have played "Borderline" on gigs before.
    Melvin Davis is CK's bass player. Another day, another monster.