Anthony Jackson's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r379, Nov 6, 2004.

1. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm sure that somewhere on this forum there is a thread about the Jazz Bass that AJ was using back in the 80's but I guess I'm not search-savvy enough to find it. I'd like to know all there is to know (what woods, pickups, bridge, strings, you name it) about that Jazz so if anyone can fill me in I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
  2. I've seen him using a Frankenstein with a nice, grainy ash body topped with clear finish joined to a rosewood-board P neck. It probably wore standard Fender pups, a Badass 2 bridge and Rotos.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    His bass ("Career Girl") went through a lot of changes as he experimented going below E way back when. He used that Jazz with a P bass neck on Chaka Khan's albums among other things. I've had a 68 Jazz w/70's P bass neck for over twenty years.

I have a concert DVD of Chaka's from back then (early 1980's) and it's probably the most frustrating live DVD I've ever purchased. At best you can occassionally see the top of AJ's head... he's seated as usual and there's so mch stuff on stage you can't see him.

But you can hear him:D
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks, Brad, and I should have been more specific. The "Career Girl" Jazz is the one that interests me. As I said earlier, I'd like to know everything there is to know about that bass. It has the best tone of any Jazz I've ever heard.
  5. According to the August 2004 issue of BP, "Career Girl" was a Fender hybrid consisting of a '75 Jazz body and a '73 Precision neck and Rotosound Swing Bass strings. In order to get the low C on Chaka Khan's album "Naughty," Jackson tuned the instrument down two whole steps to CFBbEb:

"It was quite an education. I had to raise the bridge, raise the walnut nut slots by filling them with cement epoxy and sanding them, and fiddle with the trussrod, all to get a suitable string height and tension. And even then I had to use a very light touch when plucking to keep the strings from flopping against the frets."

Career Girl has been discussed on TB in the past. I even recall a picture. There's also a two part interview with AJ from the early '90s at that may contain more information about that particular bass.
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Here are a couple of photos of Anthony with Career Girl:
  7. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004

ah! a ct! too bad you cant really see it......because i love those basses so much