Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson's p.o.'d in the new BP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 6, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just got my newest issue of BP, and in the letters section, Anthony Jackson has a letter printed regarding the Benavente singlecut reviewed last month. He's very polite about it, but is quite clear that he feels the Benavente is a (design-wise and aesthetic) rip-off of his Fodera Emperor II basses. I think the Benavente is different enough both in design and aesthetics to not warrant these comments. What do ya'll think?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wonder if Leo Fender would think the same about AJ...

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's been some discussion about this already - do a search. ;) :D

i wonder whether aj advocates fodera giving royalties to les paul and gibson for their use of the single cutaway on an electric instrument. ;) :meh:

nothing is done in a vacuum, although aj's bass designs with fodera were lightyears different from any other bass designs when they came out. furthermore, i realize that aj was directly critiquing the reviewers comments, and was right to do so. fodera does deserve the credit for a fabulous bass design.

i've talked with chris benevente, and he never claimed to be "inventing" a new design. i think it's the sincerest form of flattery, imo - those foderas are great. there aren't too many luthiers who get their body designs copied by other luthiers, with changes and aesthetic modifications made. for better or worse, those foderas have entered a small club of "exclusive" designs.

besides, i played a 7 string single cut benevente at the namm show and it was awesome. if i had the dough i would've bought it right there, without a second thought. it was one of the nicest 7's i've ever played, and i would've loved to have owned it.

if you're going to flatter another builder, do it right. i think that's what benevente has done - there aren't too many folks who don't realize that his designs are _heavily_ inspired by fodera, at least on this single cut away.

i wonder what the guys at fodera think of his stuff.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree. i edited my post to reflect that.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Exactamundo.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    His critique wasn't soley on the reviewer's comments.

"Regarding the purely aesthetic: the tested instrument's overall shape, materials selection, and even it's 'intuitive knob layout' provide befuddlement at how a magazine so attuned to the bass marketplace could not have someone on staff capable at spotting such a clear, er, 'commercial misrepresentation.'"

This goes beyond the claims of the reviewer and shows his personal opinions of the bass, and, while taking the BP staff into account, seems to me like a fairly obvious statement that he thinks the bass is a copycat.

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Its just like mac and microsoft. Sure they copied it, but what did you expect? You think no one should ever copy a design? Thats life, and especially a musician should know how necessary regurgitation is.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I disagree. AJ apparently believes that Benevente is claiming to have invented that design, when in fact Benevente has made no such claim. The ambiguous wording of the BP review is responsible for AJ's misunderstanding.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    he also mentions 'reaching into another man's workshop' which doesn't come from the article; I got the feeling he was implying infringement here.

Not that I care much, I think it just hit too close to his pet project.

I wish he had foregone the prolixity and specified more clearly what it was he has issues with. I still feel it's a tad ambiguous. Seems to be most upset with the magazine's wording, but then he says something about 'reaching into another man's dinnerplate.'

what up with that?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Is this the same AJ that raked BP over the coals when they put Flea on the cover? :rolleyes:

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    did he really?! wow

12. What do I think??

I think Anthony Jackson is a great bass player.

I also think he spends WAY too much time being a snob about things.

Well?? You asked what we thought, right?

;)

13. I don't know why it bothers people what some famous bassist thinks so much. I'd rather hear what they play then what they say.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thanks for the sig. Can I quote you?

15. Let me first say that I respect AJ as a player and love his playing to death, especially his work with Chaka Khan, and I think he has passed on the spirit of Jamerson in his work. However, I can't stand reading his interviews or anything he writes (like the letter) because he seems pretty full of himself in the written word. That's fine, though, because I still love his music.

16. I respect that he has high standards and I understand that he has very intense views regarding music, but the way he expresses himself in interviews and writing still rubs me the wrong way.

IIRC, a few years back AJ had a column in BP or contributed to articles to them, but left due to creative differences. In his farewell letter he said one of his grievances was BP's reviews of budget gear. I couldn't understand his difficulty with this. He said that they should review only the best and finest. Problem I have with that is many of the BP readers can't afford a Fodera (well, I can't) so they probably won't buy one, so a balance of gear reviews of all price ranges is a good thing. To me, that attitude about gear smacks of snobbery.

Even so, I'm still a fan.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I was bummed when they took Anthony Jackson's articals out of Bassplayer! I didn't always agree with him, but in light of the magnitude of his playing ablilty.....it always was food for thought!

18. I've often wondered how AJ keeps getting work/sessions? Obviously he Smokes on his instrument, but if he has that air of superiority wherever he goes, it amazes me that people continue to hire him.

19. Sure. :)