Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony Jackson's Rig Nowadays?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pre EB, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Anyone know what he plays through? I read somewhere that he had some stuff stolen (some multi-million dollar preamp and some Meyer Sound stuff I think) and I was wondrin' what he replaced it with.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Go take some Unisom, sleep a deep sleep, dream the best rig that comes to mind, and wake up to find good ol' Tony usin' it. ;)

3. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Details!! Details!!!!!
    What's he got; a one-off Neve bass preamp with a CS800 and some old Kustom cabs with 15s?
    Sweeeeeet......
    No really, isn't he using some powered cabs with- what was that dang preamp?
    On a side note, I was at a NAMM show, like in '87, and I saw this big black guy, sitting on a stool, tearin' it up on a big fat bass and no one paying attention (for long). Victor Bailey, who I did recognize, came up and started yelling for him to "cut it out 'cause you're making us all look bad". I turned around and there was this HUGE crowd watching with their mouths open. It was A.J. and from then on I was a fan. Think if I got a rig like his I could play like him? Please say yes..:eek:

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    fm audio i believe is the name of the 10000 dollar pre amp iirc

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe he is using Meyer Audio powered speakers. I am not sure what pre-amp he is using now since his FM was stolen. I really like those Meyer powered speakers though!:)

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    At the Michel Camilo concert I attended last month, he was playing a GK 800 or 1000 RB head through a Hartke 410. I don't think he was even wired to the PA and that was a large venue.

7. I know he uses epifani cabinets(112)
    his fodera model, ernie bass volume pedal
    and a FM acoustics preamp with a krell power amp.
    The FM was stolen so now he uses some other preamp. I cannot remember which. Maybe an epifani? He uses monster cables and nordcost lapsis instrument cables ($200 and I am not sure if they are worth it.) Does anyone know when the NAMM show is? How do you get tickets to it?
    Ross

8. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Since the FM Acoustics mic preamp was stolen he's now using a Millenia Media mic pre, I believe an API parametric EQ, Meyer sound powered cabinets (the 12"s I believe) and of course is signature presentation model. I'm pretty sure that due to his health when he travels around he just rents and has it delivered as opposed to carrying all that stuff.

9. what sort of health issue does he have?

10. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Obesity complications and some left hand problems.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

that sucks... i aint a little one but i couldnt imagine bein obese to the point it caused problems

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That SOB! HE'S the one who stole my sh!t!!!:D

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Those 36" scale necks will kill ya. And Carl Thompson is still making 38" ones...

14. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    He's with 34" now.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, NOW. A little too late if you've already recieved wrist damage.

16. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I read a while back that Anthony Jackson lost weight and saw a picture of him. Did not realize it was him until I read the caption.

Hea is a great player and inovator. We owe him a lot considering the gear that is available to us because of his quest for excellence.

Chuck

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, he did lose a lot of weight. Unfortunately, when I saw him over the summer, it looked like he put quite a bit of it back on. As someone whose weight has fluctuated over the years, I know it can be tough.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's been mentioned several times before on TalkBass, but if you didn't know, AJ lost a lot of weight as part of his recovery from a stroke.

He has recently made the move to a 34"-scale bass after his left hand was caught in the door of a NYC taxi, with a resulting loss of strength.

19. That reminds me of what happened to Charlie Haden: a neighborhood pit bull bit his left hand, causing enough nerve damage that he had to lower the action on his bass fairly significantly in order to be able to play.

Take care of your hands, folks. I accidentally got my right middle and ring fingers caught in a door handle and the skin got torn off of the knuckles. I thought the cuts would heal more quickly, but it'll be three or four days before I could feel confident about playing again--luckily, I'm at home, and I didn't bring a bass.

20. has anyone seen the simon and garfunkel in central park video with anthony? Is it worth getting?