Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anthony, Pattitucci, seems like a lot of folks started out on Ken Smith basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    So what happened? do you guys think they were "sound" bassed desicions or was it endorsement politics as usual?

2. Yamarc, I think they actually began their carreers much as you or me....on a fender.

As their popularity grew so did their taste or craving for better or more versatile tone.

So they moved much like us into the upper custom basses!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Well, both players you mentioned were pioneers of the six string bass, and since, back in the mid-eighties, Ken Smith was the only builder that made those with wide string spacing and all the other goodies these players liked, they really didn't have much choice but to play a Smith.

Vincent

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just my personal opinion, but Patitucci's recorded tone was always MUCH, MUCH better when he played the Ken Smiths than it is with his Yamaha signature bass.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Eric, I couldn't agree more !!!!!!!

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Actually Anthony Jacksons' 1st 6 string bass was masde by Carl Thompson however it wasn't successful so he went back to the Fender Jazz that was tuned BEAD and then in late 82 or early 83 is when he went to Ken Smith for a brief period.I actualy had a Smith/Jackson 6 string back in 89 and til this day whish I would've "kept it........DAMN IT.:mad: