anthony vitti - Sight Reading Funk Rhythms

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 'JC', Dec 8, 2004.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    anyone here play out of this book?
    what are your thoughts on it?
  2. Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I have all his books and his video. I think it is some of the best instructional materials available. They are pretty difficult to play at speed and CLEAN. The best part is Anthony uses real chord changes for his examples rather than just simple riffs.
  3. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Anthony is a great teacher and a nice guy AND was briefly the bass player in Twisted Sister. I'm not sure how much reading he did on that gig, but he seems to have headbanged his hair right off.
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That's pretty funny!!! :D

Vitti is a smoking player, great educator.

I bet that is a good book. *edit*, appears to be out of print... good find my friend.
  5. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I have his Accelerate your bass playing. The material is good but he jumps quickly from simple exercises to very complicated exercises.

C'mon Corinpills Twisted Sister. I'm looking at who he's played with on the back of the video box: Sammy Davis Jr, Liberace, and who the H*** is Herb Reed & The Platters.

You sure it was Twisted Sister?
  6. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Oh, I'm sure (funny how he leaves that one off the instruction book bio). Herb Reed is one of the original memebers of the PLatters (the most succesful vocal R&B group of the 50's, had literally dozens of hits, sold millions of records, never made a dime). The Platters never owned their name and in the shadier days of the music business (not like now when everything is on the up and up...ahem), there would sometimes be 9 or 10 different "Platters" touring the country- along with half a dozen Coasters and a bunch Skyliners and Flamingos. It was common practice. Herb Reed was actually a bit of a pioneer in making the public aware of this.

By the way, if you've never heard any of the above doo wop era groups (especially the Coasters), I highly, highly recommend checking them out. There are some amazing songs done in incredible vocal arrangements.

And then dig deeper and find a old acapella quartet called the Delta Rhythm Boys that will absiolutely blow your mind. When you hear the bass singer on those tracks, you'll really understand the meaning of deep.
  7. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Twisted Sister. Man that is funny. Now that you mention it on Accelerate Your Bass Playing there is a section where he covers heavy metal. That always struck me as odd but now it's starting to make sense. Thanks for the info.

I've heard of the Platters and the Coaster. Didn't know if it was the same Platters though. I 'll have to check out the Delta Rhythm Boys.

I like to get inspiration for playing from non electric bass sources. I've actually been thinking about voice lessons or singing in a choir to be able to vocalize bass parts and help my ear training. But I guess thats a post for another thread.
  8. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA

But those are excellent ideas. I can't think of a single bass player who couldn't benefit from vocal lessons- just the interval ear training alone would make it worthwhile.