Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lobster_boy, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Have any of you seen the new Levi commercials about the talents shows which include the lone bassists doin a really crappy job? i saw the first one and thought. "yea yea haha" but then they came out w/ a new one were a girl is playin and electric upright and doin an even crappier job, im angry, whats their deal w/ bassists or what?
  2. You know I have always wondered why it is that the bass community is always regarded as a bunch of horrible failures of musicians. I think that the rest of the world is really just a bunch of failed bass players.
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    is there a way i could see these commercials on line?
  4. I haven't really payed too much attention to them.

Alot of commercial jingles are just people noodling around on bass... like that McDonald's commercial.

Hopefully some of you know what I'm I'm talking about...
  5. Maybe you would have been happier if it was a trombonist or a violinist made to look "bad"? If it was ANY instrument then the players of that instrument would say "Why are they making fun of us", so just don't pay attention, I don't think they ment it as a dig to bass players.
  6. I agree. Everyone on that commercial acted like a bunch of idiots.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I just look at it this way.

The people in those commercials are not bass players. They are idiots posing as bass players.

Therefore, the commercials are not anti bassist.
  8. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    I agree that I don't think these commercials were "anti-bass", but there is a definite view with many people that bass isn't as "valid" an instrument, now maybe that isn't the best way to describe it, but I think you can get my meaning.
    This topic has been talked about often, you know, "Isn't bass easier to play, you only have 4 strings?".
    That kind of junk. I've had to explain to many people that don't play anything that bass isn't easier, per se, and just what the role of bass is. Once I've played some Jaco, Mike Watt's solo punk opera disk, etc...they start to see what I mean.
    So yes some people can have this view, now do I think the commercial is aimed at that? No.
    And I don't think it was anything intentional and should just be taken at face value or ignored.
  9. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Do any of you guys play the tuba? :) At least playing bass is considered "cool" by many people. I split my time between the two, and depending on where I am the reaction to each instrument can be very different.
  10. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Dude! The tuba is a WAY cool instrument!

Am I the only one who appreciates out-there or disregarded instruments like the tuba, harmonica, bagpipes, and banjo?
  11. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I know! I spend about four hours a day playing the tuba! I own my own (the most expensive thing I own that is MINE). I love playing the tuba, plus it gives another option for playing. My teacher was a tuba/bass doubler, and that is one of the reasons I started playing bass. I also have two banjos, a bagpipe chanter, two duclimers (hammered and moutian) and harmonicas. I don't really like the harmonica, but that is because I played with a guy who tried to make harmonica work in <U>every</U> song! The chanter I bought because I always wanted to play the pipes, but it takes so much air, probably more than my tuba.

Maybe we should start an underappriciated instruments thread!

Sorry if I caused some confussion, I am actually going to a band rehersal in acouple of minutes.

12. Especially Will Ferrel. Oh, wait, he's paid to be stupid.

Rock on