Anti-cig thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, May 13, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I’m quitting today. Quitting smoking. Forever. I’m pretty heavily addicted – I’m 28 years old and I started using smokeless tobacco (Copenhagen) at age 10 and I was hooked and dipping snuff daily by age 12. I switched to smoking cigarettes at age 18…so I’ve been nicotine addicted for about 17 years, smoking cigs for over 10 years – as of yesterday I smoked about 1.5 to 2 packs of Camels per day.
    I’m making a thread about this because it’s part of my strategy for quitting – to tell as many people as possible that I’m quitting. That way, if I fail to stay quit there will be that many more people who know I failed (only if they ask how it’s going at a later date, and I realize nobody cares but still…)
    My reason for quitting today is that I’ve been going to make yet another attempt at quitting for weeks now, I’ve been pushing it back one pack at a time. Today I decided it’s the day because – a) I’m out of smokes b) my chest hurts c) I’m broke. I think I’m going to have success this time – I’m finally looking at it as a life & death issue…I feel that I’ve already taken years off of my life. I feel like right now I’m on a pace to live until I’m about 55. If I stop smoking and start exercising and eating right maybe I can make 70 or so. The difference is huge – either die while still employed, or get a few years of retirement in my life. I’m motivated. I’m doing this.
    Sorry about the huge rant – I’m going to be nuts for a while (more so than usual)
    Please post your experiences with quitting nicotine – tell me some success stories, or jump on the band wagon and quit with me! Or just let this thread sink to the bottom of OT and disappear for ever, I don’t care – it felt good to type this. Wish me luck.
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hey man, good choice. I quit about three months ago myself.

Since then, I can breathe better, can exercise more vigorously, and my dad doesn't complain about the smoke smell every time he's at my house :)

I have a little computer program that sorta helps... you punch in your quit date and it keeps track of # of cigs not smoked, money saved etc. PM me and I'll send it to you if you wish.

I'm at 2,062 cigs not smoked, $876.35 saved...

Good luck!
  3. I love smoking. Have for the past 28 years.

4. But Smoking doesn't love you. Just look at what its doing to your body. Peace

P.S- I really have no say in this matter since I smoke about a pack a week.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Jamey Aebersold???
  6. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i think its awesome that you're quitting. i think smoking is useless, its such a waste. both my parents smoke, its disgusting. the tobacco company makes me as sick as the smell of cigarette smoke. i try to encourage my friends that smoke to try and quit. stick with it, it will pay off in the long run.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Bass money...
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah but what does your avatar think about it?!

brad cook
  11. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I try to be the "stop smoking those things" dude and many of my friends do the same. We prefer to smoke the not-harmful, not-addicting herb instead. (please don't flame me for saying that, there's an old thread about it somewhere if anyone cares to contest my ways.)

well, good luck! :) I bet when you are sucessful, you will be able to conquer any sort of self control issue you want.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Good luck man, it can be done.

I quit 20 years ago, I smoked 2 packs of KOOLS a day. One day, I just made up my mind. Today was the day. After the 3rd day, you are off.

3 days, man, 3 days.

You can do it, you just gotta decide you want to.
    Nobody else can do it for you, but a lot of people will cheer you on.

In 5 years, you lungs will be pink inside like you never smoked.

Stay away from booze, and bars where there are a lot of smokers, ie, until after 3 days, when the urge is down.

You are most vulnerable to a relapse if you get drunk, nobody ever gets drunk and does stupid stuff, right? So just don't put yourself in vulnerable positions for a little while.

Coffee is actually pretty good without smoke, and fresh air smells pretty good.

You can do this, go for it man!!!!

I expect a post tomorrow telling us you made it 1 day, ok?

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you all for the support. I will post to this thread tomorrow and for the next few days to let you all know how it’s going. I’m just going to keep thinking about the wisdom many of you offered in this thread and how much better my life will be - how my clothes, hair, car, bedroom etc. will all smell better. I will be more appealing to the opposite sex. I’m getting healthier everyday, starting now. I am setting a better example for my children. I will be saving a fair amount of money (enough to buy the bass rig I desperately need in just s few months!) and many many other things…thanks again for the support you guys!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am very happy for you this is the best thing you can do for your self. I just had 13 months with out smoking and in the time i purchsed

FBB Custom Bass 047-02 check it out in inventory i am very proud of that bass.

Epiphone Jack Casidy Bass killer tone

Ampeg B 100 R

I got all this with the money i saved from quiting the slow suicide i mean smoking you kick it you can do anything. I highly suggest cold turkey, best of luck to you and your lungs :)
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

16. I've just stopped again as well. Hopefully, for the last time. If you can stop, don't start again. It gets harder, not easier, each time. Take the savings and get yourself something fun (new bass, cab, something else...), and enjoy the easier breathing in the meantime. :)

Oh yeah, appologize to everyone you care about ahead of time... Nictotine cravings can cause some rather amazing snaps you wouldn't normally let out...:eek:
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Cool, you must smell like hell.
  18. i recnetly had an uncle die on emphyzema (sp?) but i've always been very against smoking cigarettes. i'm relaly glad to hear you're quitting, i've helped alot of my friends quit, and its definetly for the best.
  19. Speaking of smoking, I just found out three of my good friends all just got busted for underage smoking. One also got busted for pot and is currently sitting his ass in jail.

You reap what you sow.
  20. Nah, he just smells like Europe.