Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by VS, Feb 1, 2004.

1. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I have bought 4 sets of D.R. strings now,only to be dissapointed once more. I know now,I will never waste my money again. I have noticed a serious lack of tone after about 6 hours of initial setting. I broke my C string without even touching it. I broke my E string while playing "lightly" on it. Another thing is,I've never broken a string that wasn't a D.R. I think handmade is NOT the answer when it comes to strings. -Luke
  2. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    I've tried that once, but that was because my tuner acted weird and made me overtune the strings causing them to pop after a couple of minutes playing.
  3. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    There has to be something else at work for what you describe to be happening - a sharp or rough spot somewhere, for example.

I have been very pleased with DR strings, and the only problems I have had have been due to the rather weird installation that my 5-string (Moses Vertical Jump Bass) requires, not the strings.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never had a problem with Long Necks or Lo-Riders. Best strings I have ever used. The only thing close is Dean Markley SR2000s, for my tone.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    DR'S rule! Screw that nickel crap I love when my fingers hurt a little. Dr Lowrider SS on all my axes!
  6. you have to watch how you wrap them. maybe you should pick up a cheaper set, if you feel you wanna try them again, and wrap them *so* slowly around the tuner, and then tune them very slowly.

you get an instruction manual with the set, its been 3-4 days since i put mine on... so far so good.

the tension is awesome, they are slack!

however, i dont like the feel of the actual string itself much, nor the tone is very pleasing to me. ah well! back to slowounds :D
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I relate DR Lowriders to slowwounds with more bite. If I were to use Nickels again it would be slowwounds, and they are discontinuing them....%$#@%&&*&^&!!!!
  8. heya ricplaya, i am using the low riders, and imo they are no where near the bueatieeee of my slowound's. i put another new set of slowounds on my G3. they sound great, and the feel is AMAZING! ahhh how i missed them!! the set that was on before had a bit too much tension! :)
  9. I've used Low Riders and I'm now using High Beams. No problems here.
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

I really liked the lowend and the smoothness, I just thought they were maybe too smooth. I feel the Lowriders have similar tension and lowend smoothness but has that stainless bite that I like for cutting in the live mix. I just like stainless strings over nickel. If I were ever to put nickels on it would be slowwounds. What really scares me is if I ever want to get that Slowwound tone they are discontinuing them, maybe we should start a pettition?
  11. i was thinking that maybe too, ric. maybe D'Addario would make a smartter move by discontinuing the XL's? but then that cuts out their budget shelf... :meh:

the EXPs, which are XL's with a nickel coating are to be the new "top-notch" string. but they are pretty pricey! :spit:
  12. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I think I'll stick with D.M. SR 2000's,never let me down. -Luke
  13. I keep hearing stories, like this one, about getting flawed DR's and whatnot... I'm baffled!

I've been using DR's exclusively for close to a year - take into consideration that I have two basses and I change the strings roughly every month - and I've never had a bad string, nor have I ever broken a good one!

I used to use sunbeams but I switched to hi-beams and I can't complain! They deliver what the promise: great tone and longevity.

DR's rule. :bassist:
  14. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i picked up my first set of DR SS Lo Riders about a month ago. they were barely ok for the first 2 weeks, but now.....

they have a very hollow sound, a lot like what you would want from a fretless mwah type setup, very bad for rock and slap especially, not even bodied enough for good jazz tone....

maybe i got a bad set, but i think i'll move on to other strings...

and just for reference, i usually use Ken Smith Rock Masters and love them after the initial 'zing' goes away after 2 weeks.
  15. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I don't know man , because XL's are pretty damn good for the money.I've used DR's a couple of times but they just weren't my cup of tea.
  16. I have had at least one string brake from the last 5 packs of DR Hi-beams and I still have 5 packs left from the original 10 packs I bought (big mistake in hindsight) I sometimes get the weird sound thing too (sounds like the core wire and the wire wraps have separated). I think that they must have got a bad batch of core wire and had a bad run of strings, maybe they alreay knew this and decided to keep production going anyways who knows but I never had a problem previous to this and it is unfortunate but I will probably never use a DR product again because of this.
  17. loma

Sep 27, 2003
    i love DRs, they are amazing, they sounds great, the tension is so tight, and yes i too like it when my fingers hurt a little, cause i then know that im playing with everything i got. these strings have everything, they arent oily, or like loose and stuff, like Elixirs. DRs ALL THE WAY