1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ANTI D.R.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by VS, Feb 1, 2004.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I have bought 4 sets of D.R. strings now,only to be dissapointed once more. I know now,I will never waste my money again. I have noticed a serious lack of tone after about 6 hours of initial setting. I broke my C string without even touching it. I broke my E string while playing "lightly" on it. Another thing is,I've never broken a string that wasn't a D.R. I think handmade is NOT the answer when it comes to strings. -Luke

2. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    I've tried that once, but that was because my tuner acted weird and made me overtune the strings causing them to pop after a couple of minutes playing.

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    There has to be something else at work for what you describe to be happening - a sharp or rough spot somewhere, for example.

I have been very pleased with DR strings, and the only problems I have had have been due to the rather weird installation that my 5-string (Moses Vertical Jump Bass) requires, not the strings.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Never had a problem with Long Necks or Lo-Riders. Best strings I have ever used. The only thing close is Dean Markley SR2000s, for my tone.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    DR'S rule! Screw that nickel crap I love when my fingers hurt a little. Dr Lowrider SS on all my axes!

6. you have to watch how you wrap them. maybe you should pick up a cheaper set, if you feel you wanna try them again, and wrap them *so* slowly around the tuner, and then tune them very slowly.

you get an instruction manual with the set, its been 3-4 days since i put mine on... so far so good.

the tension is awesome, they are slack!

however, i dont like the feel of the actual string itself much, nor the tone is very pleasing to me. ah well! back to slowounds :D

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I relate DR Lowriders to slowwounds with more bite. If I were to use Nickels again it would be slowwounds, and they are discontinuing them....%$#@%&&*&^&!!!!

8. heya ricplaya, i am using the low riders, and imo they are no where near the bueatieeee of my slowound's. i put another new set of slowounds on my G3. they sound great, and the feel is AMAZING! ahhh how i missed them!! the set that was on before had a bit too much tension! :)

9. I've used Low Riders and I'm now using High Beams. No problems here.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

I really liked the lowend and the smoothness, I just thought they were maybe too smooth. I feel the Lowriders have similar tension and lowend smoothness but has that stainless bite that I like for cutting in the live mix. I just like stainless strings over nickel. If I were ever to put nickels on it would be slowwounds. What really scares me is if I ever want to get that Slowwound tone they are discontinuing them, maybe we should start a pettition?

11. i was thinking that maybe too, ric. maybe D'Addario would make a smartter move by discontinuing the XL's? but then that cuts out their budget shelf... :meh:

the EXPs, which are XL's with a nickel coating are to be the new "top-notch" string. but they are pretty pricey! :spit:

12. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I think I'll stick with D.M. SR 2000's,never let me down. -Luke

13. I keep hearing stories, like this one, about getting flawed DR's and whatnot... I'm baffled!

I've been using DR's exclusively for close to a year - take into consideration that I have two basses and I change the strings roughly every month - and I've never had a bad string, nor have I ever broken a good one!

I used to use sunbeams but I switched to hi-beams and I can't complain! They deliver what the promise: great tone and longevity.

DR's rule. :bassist:

14. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i picked up my first set of DR SS Lo Riders about a month ago. they were barely ok for the first 2 weeks, but now.....

they have a very hollow sound, a lot like what you would want from a fretless mwah type setup, very bad for rock and slap especially, not even bodied enough for good jazz tone....

maybe i got a bad set, but i think i'll move on to other strings...

and just for reference, i usually use Ken Smith Rock Masters and love them after the initial 'zing' goes away after 2 weeks.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I don't know man , because XL's are pretty damn good for the money.I've used DR's a couple of times but they just weren't my cup of tea.

16. I have had at least one string brake from the last 5 packs of DR Hi-beams and I still have 5 packs left from the original 10 packs I bought (big mistake in hindsight) I sometimes get the weird sound thing too (sounds like the core wire and the wire wraps have separated). I think that they must have got a bad batch of core wire and had a bad run of strings, maybe they alreay knew this and decided to keep production going anyways who knows but I never had a problem previous to this and it is unfortunate but I will probably never use a DR product again because of this.

17. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    i love DRs, they are amazing, they sounds great, the tension is so tight, and yes i too like it when my fingers hurt a little, cause i then know that im playing with everything i got. these strings have everything, they arent oily, or like loose and stuff, like Elixirs. DRs ALL THE WAY