Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anti - drug tunes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pacman, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm coming to you guys for a little help. My wife is a singer for the Air Force rock band, and they're gearing up for a big "Drug Free" show. She's basically asking for 'feel good - stay of drugs - inspirational' type songs. I gave her "You are the Universe".

Any suggestions?

(oh, and she's also asked that we not be 'smart alec bass players' about it :D )

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No offence, but I guess you'll only find these in the christian music scene.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Knock Me Down -RHCP

maybe You by CandleBox... not sure if it's anti drug, but I always took it as such. It's not really an "Inspirational" type.

4. "Wall of Denial" and "Tightrope" by Stevie Ray Vaughan come to mind.

Neither are particularly feel good though... perhaps more learn by example.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    kicka$$... SRV is always "feel good" :)

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hey - F'd Up On Drugs, which can be downloaded on the first page of our website is anti drug and we'd love if someone covered it....

But I'm not too sure that's quite what you're looking for :).

7. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Under the Bridge - RHCP
    Master of Puppets - Metallica

8. Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers and Coma White by Marilyn Manson (this song would be cool acoustic)

9. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Anything by Suicidal Tendencies, one of the most anti-drug bands ever. One song in particular that comes to mind is 'Gotta Kill Captain Stupid', but dig around their catalog, Mike Muir bashes on druggies all the time.

10. come on, the obvious choice here is minor threat's "straight edge." but she probably isn't too into punk, huh?

11. Straightedge Punk music.

but like DHC said, she's prolly not into punk music. I've seen/ heard some Air Force bands play, so I kinda doubt Earth Crisis would go over very well. However, they could take the lyrics and rewrite the music, and tone it down a little.

12. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    bah! u beat me 2 it! straight edge is an awesome song. also anything by suicidial tendencies. they write a lot of anti-drug music.

13. How'bout "The Dope Show" from Marilyn Manson:D

14. How about "I've Seen the Needle and the Damage Done?" Or "Hotel California?" They're hardly "feel-good" songs, but sometimes you need to be (forgive the pun) smacked around a little.

15. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    "Bad" -U2

Not really feel good, but it's anti drugs.

16. What about the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "That Smell" or something to that effect.

Going way back..."Pusherman" by SteppenWolf

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    White rabbit?

18. Because I got high - afroman, it has to be anti-drugs right? I mean come on, his life is falling apart because he got high

sim

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I suppose you haven't heard Swedish rapper Dr. Alban's big early 90's hit, "No Coke".

"No coke, no heroin, no hasch hasch, no amphetamine" :D

20. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Word.

"I wasn't gonna run from the cops, but I was high...
    I was gonna pull right over and stop, but I was high...
    Now I'm a paraplegic, and I know why...
    Cuz I got high, cuz I got high, cuz I got hi-igh.
    La da dat dat dada da..."

If that isn't conducive to abstinence, then the you're messed up in the head. Or high. :eek:
    :D