Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anti Flag releases a song about the WTC events...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Sep 27, 2001.

1. For those interested, the band Anti Flag recently recorded a song about the recent WTC events. This is a truly great song, you should at least read the lyrics, if not download it from their site. The song is available on mp3 format only, and not on cd.

You can download it here: http://www.anti-flag.com/anti-flag/911forpeace.html

Here are the lyrics to the song:

"911 for peace"

It's in the paper every day
    You see it in the headlines and you feel so sick
    As another life leaves this world - this world so full of hate - but short!
    Short on compassion, short on humanity
    Asking myself in vain, shaken by the shock…
    "Do we even have a chance?"

chorus
    I don't want to die
    I don't want to kill
    We are all human
    It's time to prove it

This is a plea for peace (world peace)
    To the oppressors of the world (and to…)
    To the leaders of nations,
    Corporate profit takers,
    To the every day citizen
    Greed, envy, fear, hate- the competition has to stop!
    When you see someone down - now is the time to pick `em up
    Set our difference aside and never look back!

chorus
    I don't want to die
    I don't want to kill
    We are all human
    It's time to prove it

Isn't everybody tired of the fighting?
    Killing?
    Dying?
    Hatred?
    Violence?

2. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I 'm downloading the song now. Hey, am I not good enough to be in your signature? I talk here too, you know. :( :( :(:confused:

3. Hey man its nothing personal, I just don't know you very well. And your not the only one to ask about being put in my signature, but you just very well might be on my "list" someday....

4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Umm, IMHO this band needs a name change and to get an appreciation of the men who have fought and bled to keep us free. I'm generally pretty passive and tolerant about internet postings but come on people, the time for peace has ended with these terrorists! It's time to fight and defend our great land for the freedoms that we hold dear. These terrorists minorities(NOT ISLAMS IN GENERAL) came to our country and took our lives; this should be in the forefront of our minds.

respectfully,

Tapp

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

With all due respect, it would be impossible for someone to put everyone who ever posted in their signature.

6. those lyrics are great, exactly how i feel about it. the band doesn't need a name change. people didn't die for the flag, they died for the county. what kind of fool would die for a piece of cloth?

7. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    About the list thing:

I was (half) joking. I was dissapointed but not offended at all not to be on the list.

whoever said they need a name change:
    I think it is perfectly reasonable for them to keep their name, and the lyrics seem very good. they promote peace instead of warfare and helping all people instead of blind patriotism, which shows appreciation for the rescue workers, instead of the politicians, who are using the tragedy to my advantage. The theme of the song is similar to Tom Morello's statement (see www.ratm.com or my thread about it)

People didn't die for their country, they died involuntarily because evil people killed and were posthumously applied to the cause. It is a horrible, cruel, misguided act of violence, which is what it was, not a "disaster" that sounds like an accident.

Oh, I reread your post, you ment the army. I respect the common men, not the war pigs. I agree with you strongly in the case of the commanders who fought for freedom, but vietnam? I'd best stay out of this.

Hey, did anyone read the boondocks today? or the style page of the Washington Post? or was it just me?

8. Exactly...

I would die for the people in this country, but not the government nor the flag. Maybe if we had kept up our ideals I would, but not now. Not now.

9. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    "people didn't die for the flag"

Dude, it's not the piece of cloth but it's what the flag stands for. Do you not have some sort of emotion when you put your right hand over your heart and pledge allegence or sing the national anthem? Our flag is the symbol of our freedom, why do you think that in the past weeks since the tragedy you can't find them for sale at your local stores? When I say that people died for our flag, that means they died for our country or the american people. In my mind if you're "AntiFlag" (not the band per say) you're anti American.

tapp

10. that's just the problem, people are blinded by symbols, and it's silly. the religious devotion shown by people towards flags is borderline idolatry.

11. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    Yeah, it almost got me kicked out of school for having an upside-down flag on my binder.

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Why didn't you just flip your binder upside down???

:p

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, obviously they have a positive message, but I'm disappointed by extremely simplistic lyrics. True poetry and inspired articulation move me more in song lyrics. I'm not a talented songwriter or poet, but I think I could've written those lyrics while on the can. It's just cliche'.

Sorry if my opinion on the song is too harsh. Once again, I understand it's a positive message, and I fully support that. This is simply my opinion. Once again, this is simply my opinion. Also, I haven't heard the music, only read the lyrics.

14. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    If you want to get emotional while holding "your" flag, that's fine with me, but:

I'm having a bit of a problem with this new "terrorism-bad, nationalism-good" message that's being spewed across the earth.

It's just won't work that way.

15. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Ok, how do you want it expressed.?

16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    As in "terrorism-bad, nationalism-bad".

You should really check your history books on some neat examples on what good things nationalism has brought to us.

Don't mean to sound harsh: my frustration isn't aimed at you, but at the whole situation. There's a big anti-war demonstration in Amsterdam this weekend, and that's where my opinion stands.

17. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I don't think you are harsh, you are certainly entitled to to your beliefs.

My point really is how does one "deal" with such a terrible situation. Ignore it.? Pretend that the instruments of this atrocity are good people gone wrong and pray that they see the light.? Do you really believe that once the "Terrorists" see the "good" intentions of the people of Amsterdam that they will change their ways.?

Granted blind nationalism is a problem. So is blind faith, and blind pacifism. While your postion is honest, the problem remains that these people don't play by any civilized rules.

I checked my history book and it stated that appeasement didn't stop WWII. What makes you think that it will work now.?

18. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I did. That's why I didn't get in trouble. Anyway, sorry about getting mad at you in the other thread, I was in a bad mood. To reply to everyone else:

I agree with Niels on this. Blind pacifism is foolish, but blind nationalsim is worse. Thought out in a humanitarian, the United States is doing wrong.

Jazzbo: Yes I think the lyrics are far too simplistic, but I liked the message, which was not nationalist. Howevere, it is quite short on details or skillful songwriting, and the plea for peace is too idealistic, even for a "radical idealist" like me.

In short; Philly cheesesteaks are delicious.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, but if only I could find a veggie version! :D :D :D

20. That's not a very logical approach. I love my country, but I feel no obligation to show respect to a piece of cloth. I do not recite the pledge of allegiance, and do not sing the national anthem. But I still get teary eyed every time I see those rescue workers on CNN. Am I unamerican?

That's like saying "If you're anti-MTV, you're anti-music."