Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anti-flag

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Facehouse, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Facehouse

Facehouse

May 27, 2002
    if anyone listens to anti-flag, you know the bassist plays really fast..
    i just got their Mobilize CD and i was wondering how the hell he plays so freakin fast..
    i want to learn how to play that fast, i know he uses a pick and goes up and down alot but i cant seem to do that with all the strings the way he does,
    anyone got any advice?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Practice, bro. Practice.

Remember playing fast doesnt make you good, Thats something youve got to remember. Its what he plays and how he plays it. Not that he just plays it fast.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    See the current thread about right hand speed and use those techniques, but only with a plectrum.

I admit he is a bloody good bassist, but it boils down to practise, and alot of it.

4. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I think his palying comes alot from playing speed punk, in that band. It just kind of comes with the territory. But #2 definatly knows he knows how to play.

5. Eyeman

Eyeman

Sep 17, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nice choice with anti-flag (only punk band I like) but watch out with this spead thing. Too many bassists are to hung up on playing fast and never learn to keep time. whatever you do, do it with a metronome.