Anti-French Sentiment in the United States

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    I do not mean for this thread to be political but more so someone can answer a question for me. I was watching CNN and other cable news channels when they showed pro-war supporters in the US. Many of them had signs proclaiming "First Iraq, Then France". Then, on Yahoo News, they said that a few Republican politicians (not doing this as an attack against Republicans, but as far as my knowledge goes, no Democrats have supported this) claimed that we should boycott French products and change the names of French Fries and French Toast to "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast", respectfully. Now, whether you support the war is a different matter, but what the hell is going on in this country?! Just because a country disagrees with us, we should automatically boycott their products and hate their culture for it? Personally, I don't see what them disagreeing with us has anything to do with their contributions to culture. This just made me so angry when I saw this. No wonder a large portion of the world views us as ethnocentric bullies.

Please, I do not want this to turn into a heated political debate. I would just like your thoughts on that matter of French resentment in America. Thank you.
  2. I can sort this whole mess out - just call French Fries 'chips' like we do :D
  3. To be fair, most of my friends who have spent time in France have found that anti-Americanism (random people coming up to them on the street and giving them s***, respectable intellectuals spewing absolutely ridiculous anti-US invective often laced with references to the International Jewish Banking Conspiracy®, etc. :rolleyes: ) has been rampant for at least the past ten years and shows no signs of abating anytime soon.

Quite frankly, turnabout's fair play in this situation, although I find it quite sad (but am not at all surprised) that my fellow Americans are descending to such a level. But, as a friend of mine who spent several years studying political economy in French and German universities has said, "Western Europeans will engage in any level of cognitive dissonance necessary to trash America."
  4. It simply demonstrates that most Americans are sorely lacking in tact, maturity, and intelligence.
  5. volumefiend -
    Uh...yes, that is the sign I was referring to.
    Peter McFerrin -
    Touché (no pun intended ;)). However, I think a lot of anti-American sentiment is from stuff exactly like this. For instance, the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII and the anti-German backlash during WWI. I also don't think it should be a "well if they do it, it's alright for us to do it" kind of deal. The French shouldn't verbally assault tourist Americans, but I think we're fueling the fire by spouting all this "America is the epitome of good, and anyone who disagrees is evil" stuff. Not to mention I don't see many French carrying signs calling for an attack on the United States.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Also, I imagine that the friends Peter's referring to are Mormons who are on mission in Europe (Pete, you're a Mormon IIRC, right?). People tend to not like being missionized. Especially in Western Europe.

A lot of Americans also tend to misinterprete criticism (which admittedly is often more harshly than it'd be adequate) as anti-Americanism.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    In the interest of fairness, while France bashing has reached new heights, it isn't like Europeans have always been held in high regard in America. I mean let's be honest it's not like anyone in North America hasn't heard the Europeans are snobby/snooty/wimpy/arrogant/womanizing/unhygenic stereotype. With the French specifically you get the mimes/dogs-in-cafes/rudeness stereotype. So lets be careful in saying that until recently the French and even Europeans in general were treated with respect and never stereotyped.
  8. The thing is, we've always stereotyped the rest of Europe in much the same way as Americans do.
    Must be the shared heritage :)

I don't know if the rest of Europe stereotype each other or just the British and Americans, as the other day I told a German guy in my French group the stereotype of Belgians being very dull and he'd never heard it before.
  9. Big deal, France didn't want to go to war. U.S. itself could have handeled it. And the UK AND the US definitly have it under control. Not like it's WWIII or anything :rolleyes:
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Freedom kissing. :)

This is political in nature. So, to follow the guidelines I gotta shut her down. Sorry folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.