Anti-Hum Needed?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Jul 28, 2005.

1. I want to get some new pickups for my SX Jazz. I am going to be playing in a school marching band, maybe with the SX. So, would I want to get a pickup that eliminates the noise? I don't know what a lot of people here use, but I was looking at the SD SJB-1 Vintage and the STK-J1 Classic Stack. Both are made to create a '60s sound, but the first one will have some hiss, and the second one will probably have little to none.

Should I save $20-$30 dollars and get the hum? or save up for the ones that will have little noise? Thank you for the help!

Edit... What about just getting the SJB-1 and putting some shielding in there?
  2. You'll have less trouble with hum if you're farther away from electronic wiring, so it may not be an issue if you're on a field or something.
  3. I put Fender Vintage Noiseless in my MIA Jazz. Love em!
  4. Bass Guitar in the marching band? Doesn't anyone play tuba anymore??? John Philips Sousa is turning in his grave.
  5. Ha! You missed last year's show. We did music from the "British Invasion" It had guitars too! I didn't play the bass last year though... I was in the drum line! :rolleyes:

"Paint It Black" Rolling Stones
    "Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen
    "Stairway To Heaven" Led Zeppelin

*EDIT* Will most jazz pickups fit in my SX SJB-62QMD?
  6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I highly suggest reading Lyle's star grounding thread. It will make a world of difference.
  7. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Try searching on shielding as well. Make sure your extension cord to your amp has a ground plug too - that was a mistake I made. I rewired my whole bass to find out it was just a lousy extension cord. :crying:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky hum cancelling J pickups are sweet.