Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anti-hunters: Is fishing ok? Is it different, why or why not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by steveksux, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Saw Burke's thread about his fishing trip, and I thought... hmmm people are really anti-hunting, what's their position on fishing? Isn't it the same thing, except with fish instead of mammals? Bait and hooks instead of guns?

If its different, why?

Please refrain from arguing whether hunting is bad or not, that may be too political. I'm curious if people who are anti-hunting are also anti-fishing, and why or why not. Probing at the limits of these opinions in pursuit of scientific knowlege of the human psyche.

I'm assuming pro-hunters are always pro fishing, so for the sake of argument we'll assume hunting is bad here, and assess the merits of fishing on that basis.

Mods, move this to TPA if you feel its inherently too political.

Randy

2. I think it may be different because of the catch and release policy, nothing dies that way.

Catch and release hunting would be a bit hard.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's called "wildlife photography". :smug:

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This is false. Fish very seldom recover from being caught. Mouth wounds infect easily and the fish cannot feed. Handling most species of fish for even a few seconds out of water can cause damage to their scales that will often cause them to die of skin elgions and parasites.

Catch and release is simply chosing a slow death of starvation or infection to a comparitively faster one of suffocation or decapition.

5. I guess I'm old fashioned. When I used to go fishing we'd keep them and have them for dinner.

Randy

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Source? This runs counter to the many cases I've heard where the same tagged fish has been caught several times over a multiyear period.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1

I don't hunt. I rarely fish. I firmly believe, if God didn't want man to eat animals, HE WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THEM OUT OF MEAT!

8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Link a source. I believe this to be 100% false. Any gaming authority will tell you that it is absolutely crucial to throw back smaller fish so they have the chance to reproduce and grow to larger sizes.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Totally +1, I'm glad he made humans out of meat too. hm I'm hungry

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Their are trout streams in MI., That have "catch and release" Flyfishing only seasons. The trout populations in these sections is 50-75% higher then corresponding sections of the same streams without the catch and release regualtions. I am not by any means a purist, and will keep hatchery fish, but I try to avoid keeping wild, reproducing fish to leave the resource there for the future. As far as the studies, PETA is rabidly anti fishing but doesn't like to talk about it too much, as they feel it is "too extreme" a position for the public.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cite reliable sources, please.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anyway, humans are mammals, and mammals are better than fish, reptiles, amphibians, and birds, none of which can feel pain anyway, right? Right?

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    May i ask... *** is anti-hunter... i thought even the anti-gun people are anti gun unless its for hunting reasons most of the time...

Catching fish and then letting it go is dumb... I also assume that if you release a young fish it will have problems but because its young it will pull through... older fish might have problems with healing and take longer or die...

Remember when you guys were kids... everything healed so much quicker then now... See my point...

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

16. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    dude, please tell me you are not serious. think about it.

17. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Apparently you haven't been paying enough ettention to notice that everything Munji says is a lie. He's an extremely sarcastic fellow. :)

18. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    my perspective, for what it's worth, is that those who hunt and fish for sustenance are playing on a different ballfield from those that do it for sport, and yet a different ballfield from those who choose to consume these creatures yet "don't want to know" or don't care where they came from or how they were raised, slaughtered, etc.

not necessarily better or worse, but different.

i chose animal free consumption about nine years ago, until my chiropractor told me i needed the omegas in fish oil and should supplement my diet with such. since i'm pretty sure they don't extract the fish oil in a catch and release program, i felt it hypocritical to take these supplements and not catch and eat fish.

knowing what i do now, i could have chosen to get my omegas from different sources, and will probably choose to do so again. but right now i loves me some fish and am just not ready to give it up yet. again.

it all boils to where you are (in every sense except for rarely, physical) and what your priorities are.
    not a judgment, just an observation.

19. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    WHEW! thanks for clearing that, had some respect for what the Munj had to say until reading that post. being a little vested in the topic, i missed the sarcasm entirely.

interesting how just coming off a 3 day silent meditation retreat can shift one's perspective....

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK