1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anti Virus for Macs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm on my girlfriend's Mac up at MSU, and to connect to the internet they said that you need an anti-virus because if one computer gets infected, they all will. So, I downloaded somehting called ClamXav, but it's a searcher not a blocker. What are some good free virus blockers?

2. But mac's never get viruses. Or so they say...

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Exactly, that's why I don't get why she needs one.

4. i understand that the new macs (with intel) will have to worry about virus`...due to they are totally compatible with those filthy PC`s:scowl:
    however older macs from what I understand don`t need `em.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Because nobody ever cared enough about a Mac. Now that they are getting more popular, there will be viruses and you'll need anti-virus software.

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Not really true. If that were true then Linux PCs should be as vulnerable or at least prone to the same viruses as Windows PCs. The viruses are software specific.

You don't really need virus protection on Macs because they make up such a small amount of the market that people tend not to target them.

7. Exactly...+1.

8. Hmmm, interesting I had no idea...
    Maybe I should start searching out some virus protection for mine then...:meh:

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    From the perspective of a non-hacker, this all doesn't make much sense to me. If I were going to make a virus, I wouldn't want to infect my own team. I'd go for the smug mac and the linux guys, because hey... **** 'em.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    What do you mean by "your own team"?

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The PCs man! I'm a Windows dude. We stick together.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You stick together over an operating system? Do you have a club that is about people who use Texaco gas stations, too?

13. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    If you have broadband, you get a free security update to your mac computer every few months. Free download from Apple

14. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Pretty much every OS has this feature. In fact, apple is often knocked because it will wait until they have accumulated a number of security fixes before they actually update them. I suppose that might stem from it not seeming critical since there are currently no real viruses for Macs.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you happen to be right on the money. No hacker with any self-respect would touch Windows with a ten foot pole..

16. my school has a similar policy. its because when you go to hook up to the internet through their network, they first run a check on your computer. the check looks for any viruses or anything on your computer that could harm the network, and it also checks to be sure you have anti virus software on the computer. this is universal, it is the same check for both PC and mac, so thats probably why she needs one. i have Sophos on my mac right now so that i will be all set to hook up to the network when i get to school, tomorrow actually.(cant wait)

i know at my school, for people with macs, they dont care what happens to your anti-virus once you are past the check, because macs dont really get viruses, yet. *knocks on wood* ill probably delete mine when i get to school and get past the check.

17. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It's so sad that we all have to worry about viruses.

I mean, what's really the point? chaos? The dude who wrote them (and I believe they all work for Norton Anti-Virus Software Company! :eyebrow: ) He/she can't even get the notoriety and fame from making one! So, there is no pay-off to make viruses.

18. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I don't have anti-virus on my Mac, best I can tell it doesn't need one.

Any PC I've owned since 1996 has had some form of e-condom, same reason I wear a seatbelt every day.

I have never once "worried" about a virus.