Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anti-Warwick meets Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EvilBassPlayer, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Hi everyone!

Most of you know that actually im bass-less.... and that i was looking for a new good bass... well... i think my search is over...

Im buying a Warwick Corvette Standard 6 for US$800 in Argentina, the retail price in Chile is US$1200. Brand new. Just US$150 more than a Korean-made Ibanez BTB-406QMTK, i can't go wrong with this!

IMHO, Warwick it's not the best bass for my tastes IN DESIGN, but i like their growl... i know that this could sound a little contradictory from an anti-warwick like me... but it's really a good bass tha actually i can affort by myself.

Opinions?

EBP

2. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    warwicks are great basses i just got myself a custom 5 string :D

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Hey, great! I've had two and complained for one reason or another about them (fit and weight), but not about the sound. I would probably get another if the situation presented itself, especially a Thumb.

4. Im still waiting the final price for the Thumb Bolt-On 6, if it's like the same (under US$1000), i prefer buy a Thumb Bolt-On instead of a Corvette Standard if i have the oportunity... in fact... that's the only Warwick i really like... but a 6 strings, made in Germany, and WARWICK under a grand... i can't miss the offer!

EBP

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    jesus i should buy my next warwick from down there....

if you're going for a 6'er, DON'T get the thumb, or your back will hate you. trust me. go with either the corvette - or the streamer LX is probably the bestest.

6. Don't worry about that... i can handle heavy instruments... former weightlifter :D

;)

EBP

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I played a Corvette 6'er a while back and was really impressed. Not bad at all.
    Quite a big hunk o' wood though. Broad, flat fingerboard too. Good thing you're fit.

[tiny E voice]
    Look at the size of that bass! That thing's huge!!
    [/tiny E voice]

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

it's not the weight. my ss2 weighs more than my thumb did. it's the distance the 1st fret is from your body due to the placement of the upper horn, and the neckdive inherant in such a small body.

but if you're a pretty big guy it shouldn't be too bad.

9. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Esa si que estuvo buena loko, la aprovechaste deluxe!!!!!

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The only truely amazing Warwick I have ever played was a bolt on all Wenge thumb 5.

It was a true tonal monster!

That bass really sang, and growled.

Next bass I build will be completely wenge in memory of the sold all Wenge Warwick.

Peace
    Nick

11. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    ***??!!!

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    How can you define yourself antiWarwick, or antiFender or whatever?
    Most of all, don't you think that liking the sound, and not the design is too few to take position against a brand?
    By the way, great bass you'll like it!

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  14. EvilBassPlayer,
    I hate to rain on your parade, but I think you should buy a bass that suits you in design and in tone, not just because it is a good deal. Many people fall victim to good deals and later find out that good deal or not, that they really don't dig what they have. I like the sound of the warwicks, but having previously owned a thumb, the neck dive and weight was why I sold it. Just something to consider.

15. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I too am considering a Warwick. Although I would prefer a neck through fretless 5 string Thumb, I am tempeted by the Corvettes that are going so cheap on the used market.

If it weren't for the cheese sound of bolt ons I would go the cheaper route.

16. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    haplo07: Evilbassplayer speaks spanish, and he is from my country, he can understand that kind of "language"