Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANTIBALAS Afrobeat Orchestra at Winnipeg Jazz Festival!!!! (and other reviews)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by relman, Jun 24, 2003.

1. And what a show! One of the best performances i've ever seen, and definitely the tightest and most entertaining. They started off with "Gabe's New Joint" and went through a few songs from their catalog and a few Fela tunes, performed amazingly.

Funny thing is that this show was at a club, yet i came across quite a few friendly "smokers" around... :) :rolleyes:

I also witnessed some of the city's best jazz musicians performing a tribute to Miles. They even did tunes like circles and freedom jazz dance, and a version of "So What" arranged by the pianist for the four trumpets playing at the tribute.

The night before the miles tribute i caught Moses Mayes, the funkiest, groooviest band i've seen. Amazing musicians, a DJ and over all an incredible basist.

Anyways, i urge you to see Antibalas or Moses Mayes if you get the chance to. Great Music and great people.

2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I love Antibalas. In fact I started a thread about them yesterday in Recordings. I am glad to see them getting some appreciation. Every time I see them live I dance like crazy. A great example of 14+ musicians playing simple syncopated riffs that blend into a phat funky stew.

I posted a link to a streaming live show recording in my thread if you want to check it out. Plus there are a few more show links on their home page.

3. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    yeah Winnipeg can have a cool music scene, the local bands are pretty good too. Venetian Snares is playing on the 5th, cool sounds hard to categorize.