Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antibalas

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by slam, Jun 24, 2003.

1. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Anybody else into Antibalas? They are a 14+ piece band from New York City that plays afrobeat in the style of Fela Kuti. Intense grooves that are mostly instrumental and extremely danceable. They are at their best live, but their CDs are also quite good. Here is a link to a streaming live show recording.

Antibalas home page

2. Hey man, looks like we're the only ones!

Do you know of any sites where i could find Antibalas/Fela Kuti Lyrics? There's a song that i sort of know the lyrics to that antibalas played live, which may be theirs or Fela's and I want to find out its name.

3. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I dont know any web sites but the Fela book has a lot of his lyrics. Plus the Fela CDs have all the lyrics in them. Can you remember any lines? Maybe I would recognize them.

4. Yea...there's a part where the dude sings something along the lines of "CIA, FBI, IRS, CNN"

5. I have an Antibalas track on an AfroBeat compilation CD. Good stuff.... and check out the CD if you haven't already. It's just called Afro Beat, I forget the label.