Antioxidants v. Alcohol. Who would win?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderx55, Nov 27, 2005.

1. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Here's my question, hopefully there are some chemistry people about.

If someone were to ingest antioxidants, say in the form of a "naked" juice smoothie, would antioxidants have any effects when alcohol is consumed? Doesn't it thin out the blood or something? Just wondering.

2. anti-oxidants help handle free radicals, I'm not sure that alcohol consumption has anything to do with creating excess free radicals in your body. Although its a carb, and burning carbs (I think) uses oxygen, and maybe creates free radicals in the process. I know burning carbs during aerobic exercise does that.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Isn't wine a good anti-oxidant?
  4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm by no means a physician, or anything like it, but my chemistry knowledge is pretty good.

What I can tell you is that there is no direct reaction between them. The antioxidants will not help metabolize the alcohol and won't likely reduce the effects. I'm speaking from a strictly chemical standpoint, and I'm sure I'm missing a large aspect with the biological effects.

In short, the juice will make you healthy, but won't help directly with the alcohol, as far as I know.