Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antipop/Grand Pecking Order Tone!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, May 16, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well I love that overdriven Claypool tone that he uses on Antipop and Grand Pecking Order. I know for these albums he uses this bass:
    [​IMG]

I talked to my bass teacher who loves Primus and he says it's because of the Carl Thompson pickups. I don't know if I believe him. I've tried to recreate that sound and this is how I do it.

1. Neck pickup on Jazz Bass
    2. Punch on BP200
    3. Drive on 10 on Punch Factory
    4. Distortion from recording on comp ( :p )

So rate my sound, and give me suggestions to make it sexier!
    http://www.myspace.com/petercroce

2. sounds good bro.

I've also prefered "the Awakening solo' when les uses his fender jazz.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Oh yeah! I found on the live Tommy the Cat from Rhinoplasty he uses the Jazz.

I'm playing a Jazz (Not Fender, but Jazz Pickups) bass on that stuff except for Iggy's Riff, that's my 6.

4. on the official primus site, www.primussucks.com theres a clip of les playing that solo on a fender jazz. I have a live video of primus at some german festival in 97, where les uses his carl thompson 4 for that solo, it just doesn't have the clarity of the jazz. The carl thompson sounded a little muffled, mayb thats what he wanted.

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hey, I think I've got that dvd too. It's from the Rockpalast festival thing, yeah?

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    1. Carl Thompson doesn't make pickups. Les uses EMG DC pickups in his Antimatter bass.

2. Too much distortion on Laquerhead.

3. Gotta play with the beat, man. Try practicing with a metronome as it helps tremendously.

-Eric.

7. Yea, i think thats the one, really good set if i remember correctly. That was the first fottage i had seen of les play live, after that i was a huge les fanatic, i thought he was the god of bass.