Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antique Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TenorClef, May 12, 2004.

1. FWIW, Barak Norman is a very unusual maker to use on a forgery. The actual shop should be "The Bass Viol" not "the Bass violin" Norman was mainly know for violas da gamba and the like but also made violins (I think) and celli. If it were a Norman, it would probably have been a Violone in D. However, the outside linings arn't appropriate for a Viol family instrument. Could be a total fake, or some other old bass from England, Germany or Italy assuming the outside linings are original. The slab-cut top and back are very unusual for a German factory bass which would have been my first guess otherwise, since even cheap German basses usually use OK wood. It is possible that it has the sides of a German and DIY plates, etc.

Interesting. I would find out how it sounds before buying it. If it is a Norman, It will probably end up being very expensive. If not, it could still be a fine sounding instrument (or not).