Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antiquity 2 versatility

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ashtray9, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Hello. I am ready to upgrade my epiphone and was seriously considering the antiquities.

1, I love motown thump, so I hear these will be great.

2. I love hardcore and metal...will I be able to coax out a decent trebly monster tone from them?

Just how verastile are these pickups? Also, is there a very clear definition between the antiquity 1's and 2's?

Thank you very much, as this is very important to me.
    -Ian

2. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Ian,
    IMO-Antiquity's rule in terms of authentic soulful tone. Every bass I have is equipped with them.
    The primary (And major) difference between the Antiquity 1 and 2 is the magnet. Antiquity 1's use alnico 2 which produce a smoother, lower output, spongier tone. The Antiquity 2's use alnico 5 which produce a tighter punchier bass, more top end and higher output. They are slightly deguassed which lend a smooth tone.
    As for getting Metal out of them, no prob. Plenty of punch and growl. Those tones will primarily be the result of your amp setup.
    Steve Harris from Iron Maiden only uses Antiquity 2 P-Bass pickups these days, actually they are custom shop models but are virtual relica's of the Antiquity 2's. Steve is old school metal but that might give you an idea.

3. Bonafide,
    Are you talking about the J bass or P bass pickups, or both?

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Both.
    Actually all of the Antiquity 2 series pickups, both bass and guitar pickups use Alnico 5 magnets. They are true replica's of the original 60's pickups, unlike the 'vintage' pickups Fender tries to market . They use gray vulcanized (Hand punched) fiber for the bobbins, hand ground magnets, plain enamel coil wire etc. They are well worth the extra cost when great tone is required.

5. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Thank you very much. Now I just need to save up some money. So hard to stop buying cd's as to accumulate any sum.
    -Ian

6. Hi I've dug this old thread up hope you guys are still around....I'm just curious about the level of clarity of the Antiquity II(for P) I'm into the Motown thump aswell and play with flats on my P-bass and was just wondering whether muddiness would be an issue with this pickup....any info would be appreciated, thanks.

7. Antiquity II are really awesome..
    Mine are wired active with an Aguilar preamp so that will change the output quite abit..
    but those pickups are really clear!
    I had them in a few basses already.. all awesome!