Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antiquity I or II?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamaica, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi,
    i was considering to replace stock pickups on my american vintage '62
    reissue jazz bass;
    I love vintage tone,and after looking on web and reading Bassplayer JB
    replacement shootout i'm oriented on Seymour duncan/basslines Antiquitys
    But which?
    I or II?
    Sound opinions and sound differences between them?

thanks

2. I put a pair of Antiquity I's in my late 90's MIA Jazz. So far I have been really pleased with the sound (they've been in about a year now). The bridge pup has a real nice snap to it and blended together I get very even, full, complex sounds. neck alone approaches a P-bass tone, but not really, it's pretty chunky and produces some nice old school thumbing and slapping tones.

At higher volumes I can dig in to either pup and get real nice growl from my ash/maple jazz. Sometimes I find myself rolling back the neck pup a bit to produce a bit more midrange. I have to record both miked and di'ed at home when recording to get the midrange boost. This might be their only shortcoming from my point of view.

I think the accented midrange is a more contemporary sound and these may not hit that range. But then again they are really flexible and I can get any tone, just have to work a bit.

I love that they don't have raised pole pieces, so much more comfortable than the standard fenders.