1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Antiquity I or II?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamaica, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi,
    i was considering to replace stock pickups on my american vintage '62
    reissue jazz bass;
    I love vintage tone,and after looking on web and reading Bassplayer JB
    replacement shootout i'm oriented on Seymour duncan/basslines Antiquitys
    But which?
    I or II?
    Sound opinions and sound differences between them?

thanks

2. I put a pair of Antiquity I's in my late 90's MIA Jazz. So far I have been really pleased with the sound (they've been in about a year now). The bridge pup has a real nice snap to it and blended together I get very even, full, complex sounds. neck alone approaches a P-bass tone, but not really, it's pretty chunky and produces some nice old school thumbing and slapping tones.

At higher volumes I can dig in to either pup and get real nice growl from my ash/maple jazz. Sometimes I find myself rolling back the neck pup a bit to produce a bit more midrange. I have to record both miked and di'ed at home when recording to get the midrange boost. This might be their only shortcoming from my point of view.

I think the accented midrange is a more contemporary sound and these may not hit that range. But then again they are really flexible and I can get any tone, just have to work a bit.

I love that they don't have raised pole pieces, so much more comfortable than the standard fenders.