Antiquity II and QP's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beam, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Antiquity II set - please say why

2 vote(s)
  2. Quarter Pound set - please say why

0 vote(s)
  1. beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Ok, I would be runnign an alder bodied fender P/J knock off.

I am going for a fat and warm P, and a nice J in the bridge to compliment it with added clarity and punch.

I was looking at either the AII's or the QP's

I like that old vintage tone, which is what drew me to the AII's, but I also hear very good things about the QP's. Are both of these sets hum-cancelling?

group I am with does everything from U2 to Sabbath, Jack bruce era Cream to Rage Against the Machine.

I run through a Yorkville XM200.

Suggestions on what would work best with my setup/style? I plan on adding a Sansamp Bass Driver in the next few months. Which do you prefer and why as an all around pickup choice. O
  2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Neither would be hum-cancelling in a P/J settup. Any single coil J will not hum-cancel with a P, because the P hum-cancels itself. I'd look into the DiMarzio Model P/J pickups. The J pickup in that set is a humbucker. I'd call them very warm. Not very bright sounding. If you want a brighter sound, buy a DiMarzio Model P and marry it with a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz J. Both these DiMarzio J pickps are humbuckers and will be dead quiet. Don't forget that good shielding will always help hum for any pickup. Just make sure your shield (foil, conductive paint, brass plates, etc.) is grounded properly.

The P/J setup is a totaly different animal. Besides hum, some J's just don't have enough output to keep up with the P. Some pickps work better in that situation than others. The Model P/J's come highly recommended from most P/J users. I know because I've researched this before for my P/J.

By the way, I think both the P and J QP's are dull and uninteresting sounding. No character. I've owned both.