Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antiquity II/Bill Lawrence j45/(transparent good?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the Bill Lawrence j-45s compared to the Seymour Dunc Antiq. II's. I've heard (I think) that the j-45's were similiar to the antiq. II's, but "better". Anyone have any info on this or either of them. Has anyone had any "problems" with the high end/treble on the Antiq. II's? I've heard the J-45s are transparent, and I've also heard that the obp-3 is transparent. Is this a good thing (transparent)? I'm thinking of pairing these with the Aggie obp-3 in a mohogany bass. Would the obo-3 be better paired with with a Bartolini J (9k1)?
    any info is appreciated.
    -eric
    funkeudpbass@gmail.com

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

This thread reminded me I have a BL J45 I need to run by itself yet. Not playing to music sounds like it has potential. Anitiquities II's are decent pups and in my experience are easily in the top 10 of J pups I've had for a vintage Fender J tone. If that's the tone your looking for then I'd definitely look at SD Classic stacks. To me much better at a vintage Fender J tone than the Antiquities and they're 4 lead humbucking to boot. No other stacked Js I've ran across to date can even appoach a quality Fender single J tone.

There are different interpretations of transparent. Typically it's used to refer to uncolored - that is not altering the tone one way or another of whatever. As in a pre boost being louder but no different sounding in character. Also often used to refer to an apparent thinness in frequency or lack of frequency as in a tone that doesn't cut.

The OBP-1 I found to be transparent. The bass I had with an SD hot P hotstack J sounded exactly the same to me with it in or out of it. Never installed the OPB-3 in a bass but used it as an outboard and I wouldn't call what I experienced with it transparent.

The two differnet Frailin pups I've had I thought were transparent, as in thin. And I didn't like either of them. A quality vintage Fender tone has a transparency about it that can be dialed in or out to varying degrees and that I like. A common such tone is a tone that has a noticeable but not blantant low end punch with a rounded but focused cutting mid tone with nothing else - but it works very well to a broad range of tunes.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

just loaded my experience running a BL J45 S in bridge position as the last pup in the J experiment.