1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Antiquity II Jazz vs. Bartolini 59J1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbmx, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I neeed some help here guys. I'm looking to swap the stock pups in my HWY1 Jazz and until now the only ones that I've really considered have been the Seymour-Duncan Antiquity II's but I've found a set of Bartolini 59J1 J-Bass pups for NZ$160. The Antiquity's are going to be $235 although the cost isn't really going to be a deciding factor.

I like a really growly tone, nothing too smooth. I prefer the looks of the Antiquity's but tone comes before looks obviously. I play fingerstyle funk and a bit of slap so take that into consideration.

So, can you tell me your experience with either pair of pups and which set you think would be best for me. Thanks, Joe

2. I have Antiquity II bridge and Antiquity I neck pups on my jazz. Fantastic growl and edge! I think it might be the staggered windings. No experience with the Barts but I know you can't go wrong with the Antiqiuties. :bassist:

3. By what you say you're looking for, I'm not sure that Barts would be the best for you. Barts aren't really known for having that real growly, edgy tone, unless you have the woods to go with it - which I don't think your jazz does. Barts are mostly known for a darker, mellower sound, unless combined with some aggressive sounding tonewoods, like a MTD or Warwick, or something like a Zon with a carbon fiber neck.

The SD's you mention, though, are known for a vintage sound much like a 60's jazz - which I think is pretty much what you're going for. If you want even more edge than that, I'd say try some Lindy Fralins, if you can find some.

4. Thanks for the input guys. I just placed an order for a set of Antiquity II's with darrenriley.com. His prices were the best I could find after taking into account shipping to NZ.

He has Lindy Fralin's too but I hadn't really considered them. I'm not after anything too edgy, just a nice amount of growl.

Time to go sit and wait at my letterbox. I think I'll shield my bass and swap a volume pot for a blend pot to pass the time :smug:

5. Sounds like a good choice... Make sure to find time for a review when you get a chance! :bassist:

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

FWIW, Sadowsky uses Antiquity II pickups (without the artificial aging) for their single coil pickups (not the standard HCs). I have a set of the Sadowsky single coils in my Metro, and it has about the best growly Jazz bass tone I've ever heard.

Considering what you've said about growl, I think the Antiquitys are a MUCH better choice for what you're looking for than the more warm Bartolinis.

7. I think it's called scatter winding somtimes too. Instead of winding the wire in a uniform way it makes it more like a hand wound pup would be. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

8. That's definately what I wanted to hear!! :D

I think the plan will be to record some stuff into my Mac G5 with the inbuilt mic. I'll do it with the stock pups first (bridge raised slightly for a bit more growl) then with the Antiquity's. It should give a better idea of the difference than I could give by writing what I heard. I'll do that too though.

9. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Go with the Duncans.... for fretted jazz bass, I think you need to find a single coil voice that fits you. For me it's Jason Lollars stuff. But on a fretless, I like the tone of the Bart 9j's. I think they have a real woody bark and tone.
    Although I think the Barts shine more in recording, for fretted, single coils....just do it. Try the Duncans, people rave about them.

shawn

10. i have antiquity II's in my jazz and they sound fantastic, i seriously doubt theres any chance youll be dissapointed, SD did a great job with these pickups, i wonder how a mix of antiquity I's and II's would sound, ill probably never know but i never thought of doing that till the poster above mentioned it.

anywho enjoy your new pickups your gonna love em

11. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    How's the top end on the Antiquity II's?

shawn

12. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    These reviews of the antiquity II sound great!

(here comes the dumb question.. :D )

are they passive or active? (I get the feeling that they're passive? no?)

13. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    Thanks very much GlennW, i guess being a 60's repro they would be passive then

cheers again!

14. nothing beats the growl of mec pickups manufactured for warwicks-this is m honest opinion for growl.:eek:

15. I'm looking forward to getting a Warwick at some point. I've always wanted one but I think a Precision will come first on the bass GAS list.

16. my thoughts would be to try mec's in a precision bass, there are plenty of used mec's out there just don't know if people will part w/them-i'm not going to & i have barts in my active fretted warwick & nordstrands in my passive fretless warwick. my basis for growl reflects some loss of growl using these other pickups.:crying:

17. Can you not buy them aftermarket? Looks like I'm going to have to look into them!

18. many warwick players like fender players swap out pups. let's face it i did but i also lost growl. warwick players will probably sell them for a very reasonable price. you could also see what a warwick distributor would charge you but i gather they wouldn't be a good deal for the price purchased that way.

19. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia