1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Antiquity II or Lindy Fralins

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty2867, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Rusty2867

Rusty2867 Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    Jazz bass,which would you choose and why? Looking to change out the ones in a MIM Fender.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I had Lindy Frain in a 2004 Jazz bass I once had. They were the slit coil versions for reducing hum. Very good clean fat tone but quite expensive. Haven't used the Antiquity IT'S but My understanding they are quite good for vintage tone.

3. Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    Antiquities I found are $160 online or a local store has the Fralins for $180,I have heard the Antiquities in my teacher bass,but have never heard the Fralins.The tech at the store can order either but stocks the Fralins.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Antiquities II or reported as better than Antiquities I. Frailin's are really nice. Also Fender custom shop 60's are nice. Have you tried listening to demos on YouTube with good speakers or headphones

5. gokcekso

gokcekso

Oct 15, 2011
    I've never owned antiquities but I have fralins in my 62 ri jazz. I know both are great but I would choose Fralins. It really made huge improvement in my sound. For me, fralins are close to 60s motown sound (especially in neck pickup). But if you seek for something closer to Jaco vibe, may be you should go with Antiquities. This is of course just my own idea.

6. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    I put Lindy Fralins in an MIJ Jazz bass, and it was definitely a big improvement over the stock pickups. Usually have no trouble cutting through a mix - I would say they are quite generous in the high-mids. Not quite as growly for fingerstyle as I would perhaps like, but they sound very even, and come across very well when recording straight into the desk. There's a couple of videos of me playing mine on my youtube account, for what's it worth.

7. Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    I will look into some you tube vids on my next day off,thanks for all the replies.

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    For warmth the Antiquity IIs are quite good, in my experience, but I have not used the Fralins. I would also consider Lollars, which I absolutely love.

9. Both are just great! :)

10. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    Fralins were a revelation for me. Amazing pickups!

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Love my Antiquity IIs (also: SD has superb customer service). Would not mind trying Fralins either someday though.

12. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    NorCal
    I agree. I have an SD Antiquity with raised "A" on my P-Bass and Fralins in my Jazz. Really can't say I prefer one over the other; both are super.

PawleeP likes this.