Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antiquity II pickups installation problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJBluegrasser, Nov 7, 2004.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    I saw another pickup installation problem thread from a few days ago and I was hopeful that would answer my questions, but alas my problem seems to be different.

Here's the deal. I little while ago, I bought a pair of Antiquity II pickups from a fellow TBer. I finally tried to put them in this weekend and only the bridge pickup works. I put them into my '97 American Fender Jazz Deluxe (4 string). This bass has the fender stock preamp and I was just planning on replacing the stock pups. The bridge pickup works fine on either the bridge or neck "hot" lead to the pan knob, but the neck pickup doesn't work from either. When I say that it "doesn't work," I mean no output at all. Could there be some sort of incompatibility in this setup? I hate to think that this pickup was DOA when I received it. Can anyone offer me some advice on how to figure out what it going on? Can I prove that the pickup works even if it doesn't work in the bass?

Thanks for your time,
    Jason

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Are you certain your connections are solid? Did you try reading the p/u on a multimeter?

3. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC

Hi Eric,
    Yea, I resoldered them a few times. I'm actually an electrical engineer so I sort of know my way around a soldering iron, so I think that should be okay. I even checked the continuity a few times.

As far as that measurement, would I be measuring the resistance (impedance, whatever)?

Thanks for the response...

Jason

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd disconnect the neck wires and stick a meter on the pup and check continuity. If you don't have a meter then swap the wiring for bridge and neck pups and see if I got the opposite. If you do, you know the pups are fine.

5. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi luknfur,
    Yea, I've already tried hooking the pups to the opposite wiring, but that didn't change anything. The bridge pickup still work regardless of where it's connected in the preamp and the neck pup doesn't.

I do have a meter, but I'm not sure what continuity I need to check. Do you mean the resistance between the two posts of the pickup?

Thank,
    Jason

6. I would like to find an old set of antiquities. WHere is a good place to find used ones? Let me know if you give up. I would like to get a cheap essex bass and throw in some vintage J-pups or some sort.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, the dc resistance. Apparently, just to verify what you already know in this case. But I was thinking of a check from the terminial ends of the wires so the pup wouldn't have to be removed. Assuming the pups bad, it may just be a break at the solder joint of the leads (assuming there is one on those pups). If not, you should be able to look at the windings with the cover removed to see if there's any damage there, splayed, whatever. Usually you can tell by looking at the covers closely (not so closely in some cases), where somebody's taken a screwdriver and pried on a pup to remove it from the routing - in order to search for the related spot on the winding itself.

At any rate, if it's internal, then you're SOL except for rewind. If you paid for two working pups, I'd contact the seller for an appropriate adjustment.