Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antiquity IIs for 5-string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PaulYeah, Jan 23, 2006.

1. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I'm shopping for new pickups for my MIM Fender Jazz V Deluxe. After reading a ton of pickup reviews, I'm sold on the SD Antiquity II's. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make them for 5 string instruments. Can anybody recommend a similar pickup for a good value that's made for 5-strings?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    You might contact the Duncan Custom Shop to see if they can wind you some for a 5-String. Probably not a cheap option but if you are set on the Antiquities it may be an option.

3. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Hey jwymore. I'm basically just looking for a good alternative and something comparable to the Antiquities, if they aren't available for 5-string j-basses. Unfortunately, having one custom-made is probably a bit out of my budget. :(

Paul

4. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Well, IMHO nothing in the Duncan 5-string lineup sounds as good as the Antiquity II's. That's not a very good sales pitch as a dealer, but it's my honest feeling!! :)

Nordstrand makes both a noiseless and single coil Jazz V replacement which sounds great but I have not done an A/B comparison to the Antiquity II's. I did play a Nordie 5-String at NAMM and was blown away by the tone but can't really say how much of that was the bass and how much was the pickups.

5. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Well thank you for the advice, I'm starting to get the impression that there's not much available besides Nordies for a Jazz V.

Has anybody out there been "wowed" by new pickups for their Jazz 5-string?

PaulYeah

6. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I think I'll be "wowed" on Friday, when new Bartolini 57CBJD will be installed on my Jazz V :)

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Roger Sadowsky has said on here that his single coil pickups are essentially the same as duncan antiquities ... you could try his 5 string set. www.sadowsky.com.

8. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Checking out the Sadowski site for info on their pickups, I ran across this tidbit:

Do pickup makers just hate Jazz V's or what? I don't get it...

Paul

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I think it's just too small of a market to make it pay off for most pickup makers. I have been a Duncan dealer since 2001 and have sold over a hundred P-Bass Quarter Pounders and zero Jazz V pickups. If you were a pickup maker where would you put your effort?

OTOH, I do feel for the Jazz V owners who have limited choice for upgrading. The Rick guys are pretty much in the same boat.

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oh thats right, its narrower. I believe Nordstrand makes a pickup in that size.

11. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Ultra Jazz 5's are going for $110 for the pair on bestbassgear.com and they don't require any modification to the instrument for installation. Sounds like we have a winner!

Paul

12. Look here first:
    http://www.gtrheaven.com/pickups/dimarzio4.htm

(I'm soon going to be using these in my next build, so I've been looking around. I'll probably go with bestbassgear, because I'm getting other parts from them as well)

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Those are not single coils. They are simmilar to sadowsky's hum cancelling pickups. Not that its a bad thing, just a little different.

14. True. Following those links I gave above, I let my ears do the deciding, and they sounded great to me.

I would double and triple check the dimensions posted and the ones on your instrument to be sure they will fit. You do have a tough bass to find pickups for.

15. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Good advice, and I'm probably going to have a professional install the pickups for me. I'm also interested in an Aguilar OB-3 pre-amp and a Bad Ass V bridge, so I may just save up and have everything installed all at once.

Any advice on hiring a tech to install parts/make mods?

Paul

16. I've always done it myself. I've messed up sometimes, too, but I don't make the same mistake again. I just call it experience. :meh: