Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anton Schuster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Don Skelton, Oct 13, 2003.

1. My question is to the Luthiers in the forum. I have a Anton Schuster bass, carved, that is in very good condition. I bought it at a good price and plan to sale it at a modest mark up. Have any of heard of this bass and its maker? I don't have digital camera, so sorry no pictures.

2. I'm not a luthier but I do have 2 cents. I played a Schuster last year. In fact, I almost bought it--probably would have but someone got it before I made up my mind. The particular one I saw had great sound and really good action. I did a little research on the maker and found out a little bit. This link will give you a little info on Schuster.

http://www.hwforums.com/1761/messages/1032.html

I can't vouch for the accuracy here but it is pretty much in line with what Fred Carpenter owner of Nashville Violins told me.

3. I wasn't able to find much on Anton Schuster other than he came from a large family of violin and bow makers in Markneukirchen and Schonboack, Germany that goes back to the early 1700's. His instruments were imported into the United States by Vitali Imports (a wholesaler of violin family instruments) currently located in Whittier, California

4. Thanks for the info Steve and Bob. Its good to know alittle more about the bass before I sell it.The bass was owned by a man who had it for forty years and had old gut strings on it.I bought it for a "song" and had it strung with new strings, sound post adjustment and bridge installed. It's not a bad sounding bass, but does not compare to my Pollmann. It so happpens I was playing a gig tonight and a woman who plays electric bass approached me and asked if I knew of anyone who has a double bass for sale. I said me ,and gave her my phone number! So with the information you both provided,I can now tell her something about this bass if she shows further interest.