Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lemmingwithadb, Jan 8, 2004.

Antoni - Good or not so good?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2004.
  1. Good

0 vote(s)
  2. Not Good

3 vote(s)
  1. lemmingwithadb

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi there, i currently have a double bass that is new but cheap and tinny. I have seen an offer for one in my local area, which is being described as an antoni in very good nick, with case and bow etc. What is the genral feeling about antoni? Are they plywood or carved etc?
  2. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
    Antoni ,Cheap Crap Chinese Basses and yes it is Plywood, but thats not a bad thing especially if you are looking to play Slap Rockabilly.
    Save a little harder and get an Andreas Zeller or a Strunal.
  3. lemmingwithadb

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks, any ideas as any other makes available. Im based in the Uk and not on a missively restricted budget, but not looking for top end stuff. I'm looking for a solid wood bass as im playing arco most of the time and want a warm sound.
  4. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
    I would still take a look at Andreas Zeller, Strunal and stentor basses, they all make fully carved models as well as hybrids and plywoods,that have a reputation of being exceptionally well made.
    All are easily available in the U.K.
  5. I have a Zeller (bought new), on reccomendation of value of money from a local restorer. These can be picked up second hand from £600 and up. A couple of busy semi pro players round here use them too. My previous bass had a carved top but the rest was ply. This new bass is far far superior. From comments on TB it appears they get good playabe ply basses over in the US. I haven't come across them here.

One thing though, the cheaper end basses vary more - you can get very good ones and not so good ones. Also, leave a couple of hundred aside for a first class set up - new sound-post (a luthier on this site said it takes a couple of hours to fit one; no factory is going to do that) and bridge say - and decent new strings. Non of the set-ups are great out of the factory and people don't seem to change things unitl they break. The difference this can make is often stunning. On a top quality bass these things shouldn't need looking at.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tried one of these (Zeller) in Golden Square in Soho - it was going for about £1200 - but I really didn't like it and much prefer the sound of my EUB.

On Tuesday I was at a Jazz jam with another DB player who had a shiny new Zeller that he paid about £1,000 for and he asked me how much my EUB was, as it sounded better than his DB!! :meh:

If I could find a decent DB in the UK that sounds better than my EUB I would go for it like a shot - but so far, the only basses like this I have seen are between £8,000 and £15,000 - I can't afford to spend this much on a car, let alone a DB!! ;)
  8. Bruce Lindfield

I haven't found any DBs to be "easily available" in the UK - usually my conversation goes - well what have you go in stock?

Answer - well nothing at the moment but I can order anything for you!! :meh:

I'd appreciate the details of any shops selling DBs - really!! ;)
  9. I can't comment Bruce since I've never heard your or a simmilar EUB. I know the way my bass is set up sounds better IMO than the same model bass used by others. Pro set-up matters so much.

Getting an EUB did cross my mind for a while but my motivation was to play DB - ie: I didn't want to have to re-learn if my technique and wallet ever outgrows the capability of the instrument.
    Finnally, I'm assuming you were hearing the instruments amplified? Since I've seen alsorts of variations of amplification I'd be reluctant to judge on that basis. UK users rarely use buffer pre amps, often dump the amp where it will produce a boomy or dull sound and never seem to use the EQs. Even top pro's in the UK sometimes sound like they'd be better off playing a BG on occassions - I've never fathomed it. Look at the lengths Chris F goes to! EUBs at least seem to come with decent sorted electrics - DBs don't.

As L wants to play arco I assume L has a playing setting in mind that would make an EUB inappropriate? The best I can sugest is take an experienced player along but the trouble is that you can't drag such a bod round half the country which is sometimes what you need to do. I have heard of buying on approval, take it to esteemed teacher and keep or send it back on their reccomendation. There are also rent buy schemes, but the basses tend to be bottom end stuff.

I just drool at the service that some people get in the US. However - its a big country - not everyone lives near a Schnitzer!
  10. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
    I got my Zeller from The Exeter Music Shop in Sidwell Street, Exeter.
    List was £795 they did it for £650 which included a set up by a local Luthier.
    I went along to the Luthier because I play RAB and got him to set it up how I wanted it.
    This included replacing the bridge, setting the sound post and replacing the Steel strings with a set of Garbo`s ( which I quickly changed to Gut )
    It took 6 weeks to be delivered as there was a waiting list from Stentor Music.
    No they didn`t carry any in stock, but could readily order Zellers, Strunals and Stentors.
  11. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
    How about one of Bob Gollihurs carved Bugarian basses?

I know that Bob dosen`t ship Basses to the U.K
    Lemur Music do, but be prepared to be quoted telephone Numbers.
    Also UPS who Lemur ship through, charge additional Tariffs ( they call them brokers fees )on top of the Import VAT and customs charges.
    I think if I remember correctly its 10 % or a minimum charge of £10.
    I am at the moment awaiting delivery of an Englehardt Swingmaster.
    This cost me £235 fully insured from St Louis to Devon ( shipping obviously).It is being shipped through Eagle International.
  12. Have you guys checked with John and Arnold about the Shen and American standard?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

I just find this to be totally contradictory to your previous statement :

"All are easily available in the U.K." :meh:

I just won't buy a bass without trying it beforehand and it is seems to be impossible to do this anywhere in the UK!! :(

And you are talking about Exeter - which is pretty remote from us in the East of the UK - I went there once and it took me 12 hours - one way!!
  14. Bruce Lindfield

No, this was unamplified - I go to lots of Jazz jams and go to Jazz Summerschool each year, where there are usualy about 12 - 14 other DB players and the tutors.

You can hear a huge variety in tones from different basses and as I say, I am reluctant to buy something that I have never heard or played.

The only shop I have been into, that actually had any DBs in stock was Footes in Golden Square, Soho and they has two Andreas Zeller basses and I just didn't like the sound at all - even when played by their resident pro!!

They said they could get better basses - they mentioned German carved basses but said they would start at £5,000 + :(

As I say - that's more than my car cost me and I just don't have that kind of money to spend!!

I tried about 4 or 5 NS EUBs and loved the sound, they were easy to play, easy to transport and the Bass Centre let me buy one on Credit - no contest I'm afraid!! ;)
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Mark, I don't mean to come across as overly negative or argumentative (!) - it's just 2-3 years of frustration with attempted Double Bass-buying, coming out here!! ;)

(presumably you're not entirely happy with the Zeller or UK shops, as you have ordered an Englehardt from the US!!??)

I don't know anything about Strunals and Stentors - I've heard of the former on here - but if I remember correctly they are not held in high esteem by our US TB members??

Have you been quoted any prices on these? I would be very interested in knowing - if you can't remember, I suppose I could always phone the shop you mention - but you seem to be getting good deals from them! :)
  16. I can concur with Bruce's negative comments about UK bass buying. BTW Bruce, how is the NS bass arco? I know they designed the pickup especially to cope with this? When I went round looking for an NS to try all the shops had sold out.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

I don't even own a bow myself!! But I have heard somebody else "having a go" on my bass with a bow and rosin - took ages to get rid of!! ;)

I was surprised at how deep and low it sounded - generally I hate amplified arco - it always sounds scratchy and nasty to me - apart from John Patitucci! But a bowed B string on the NS CR5, sounds pretty scary!! ;)
  18. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
    Its hard for hitch hikers these days nobody seems to trust anybody any more.
    Very happy but the swingmaster was a prezzie from the Misses, she offered to buy me another Bass and so I let her.
    Also I played a Zeller prior to buying in another shop, not set up for RAB obviously but sounded very nice.
    We are talking about a £650 Bass here and not a £6500 jobby.
    And after all I was only trying to give Lemmingwithadb some advice, and steer him away from that Antoni.
    And another bonus with buying from The Exeter Music shop was that I didn`t have to pay any delivery or shipping costs.
    All Double Basses should be set up by an experienced Luthier prior to playing it, mine was no exception,it has been set up just the way I wanted it and remember that part of that cost was covered in the price.
    You cannot judge the instrument in the shop against the same instrument set up for your requirments.
    But any of the Basses I mentioned would sure beat playing that slab with an end pin stuck in it.
    If you want a Double Bass then buy a Double Bass IMHO.
  19. Bruce Lindfield

From what point of view?

Virtually every time I have played it - people have commented to me on how good it sounds. I have lost count of the number of unsolicited favourable reactions about the sound/tone I have got over the last 18 months or so!

Last Tuesday, a drummer I play with quite a lot said that he wanted to get one - and that even if he didn't play it, he he liked the way it looked so much, that he would just keep it as a kind of sculpture!! ;)

Seriously - all that is important to me is how the thing sounds when I play it - if I could find something that sounded better I would get it straight away, if I could finance it!

So - do you know about prices for the basses you mentioned?
  20. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
    you could always give TEMS a call 01392 436258 and see what price they can do for you?
    Another shop that carries a large amount of accessories is Cremona House in Bristol
    0117 926 2617 they also stock Stentor Basses.
    Their web site is but unfortunatley does not show nearly half of what they stock or can get.
    or try