Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Antonio Vinnacia

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by .matthew e wengerd., Mar 7, 2004.

1. Can anyone tell me anything about luthier Antonio Vinnacia and especially any basses he made in 1778? Any information is appreciated, pictures get you an extra measure.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I will look it up in the 'Henley' book. Mant of the luthiers have it. If they get to befor me you will be set. It will not list a particular Bass or even necessarly if he made Basses. It is mostly a Violin and Bow makers book with some mention of 'Cellos and Basses.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    From 1745 to 1795 there were 8 makers from that family recorded in the 'Henley book. There are 14 in the 'Jalovec' book of Italian makers from 1715 thru 1914.
    There are two Antonios in both books but they are not father and son but probably cousins or uncle/nephew. Antonio I from 1734 or 1754(Henley) to 1781 and Antonio II from 1754 or 1763(Henley) to 1784 or 1798(Henley).

We can't even find out ''who's on first'' much less who made what when, and these are some of the best books out there !!!

No mention of Basses in either book but Nicolo Gagliano is the one they most often copied as he was the best of the Neopolitan school. Some of Vinnacia's work was labeled and sold as Gagliano's according to the scriptures.

Do you have this Bass? Can you post some Pics of it? Please do if you can. I am trying to get a perminant thread up here titled 'This Old Bass' as I have mentioned in my 'Name That Bass' thread.
    I'm sure it would be great to have a thread of old Basses to look at and add to regularly.

4. Ken, Thanks for the reply.
    This bass is currently in my teacher's possession and he is thinking about trading his fine old Italian bass for it as it has a bigger, more "orchestral" sound. I'm much more net savvy than him, which isn't saying much, so he asked me to see if anyine knows enough about it to begin to make any statement on the origin.
    It has been suggested that this is a Vinnacia. I recall an extremely deep box. So much so that it was more akward for me to play than my full size (literally-the lower bout's over 31 inches) Solano, which came to Florida the same week as the alleged Vinnacia. Gamba shaped very round back and table. I only saw it for a moment and remember little about it. I can post pictures, but it'll be a week or so.

Also, Ken, I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your electrics. I have a Warrior and sure am wishing I had a Smith to go with it.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    A week or so is nothing for a 250 year old Bass. Try to get pics of both his current Bass as well as this one. It would great if everyone did the same and posted pics of all the Bass they have from 100 years old and up.
    If you have any questions about my Basses, just give me a call.